Thread: Pickguard for 1914 Gibson A-

I'm going to refinish the back of a 1914 (I think) Gibson A-. Before you shout "blasphemy," let me tell you that it has already been refinished - poorly. I aim to undo what's there and will probably just go for a natural look. This will be a player for me, not something I plan to sell for its collectability. The bridge is funky and I need to at least put in a new saddle, and the tuners are OK at best. Seven of them work. They might be salvageable, but I might replace them, too.

Anyhow, the mando has a very nice pickguard with all the mounting hardware, in excellent condition. It has a few scratches, but that's it. I can't see any signs of deterioration. I'm thinking of selling the pickguard to help pay for this. I ran a search of completed auctions on eBay and saw an F-2 pickguard, kinda crumbly by comparison, that went for $179.

Anyone have any idea of what a decent price for the pickguard might be? I think it looks cool on the mando, but I don't need one, and would just as soon sell it to someone who wants one to complete a better-looking mando and put the cash back into this mando.

I don't know but I need one I have a 1914 A1 pumpkin top that had a few pieces of what was left in the case when I got it. No bracket...at first glance i thought it was a broken pick but soone discoveed I was mistaken.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I had thought about just putting it on eBay, but if we can figure out the worth, I'd happily sell it to you instead.

Please don't break it apart. Suck it up for now. Months down the road you won't miss the money.

Well, I get your point, Tom. But ... it's getting a new bridge, new finish on the back, maybe new tuners. Still, it does look sweet, that dark pickguard against the pumpkin top. Now you've got me confused!

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

Before you sell it look at this ebay item.
    OTW