Thread: Best bluegrass rhythm guitar instructional book?

Default Best bluegrass rhythm guitar instructional book?

Howdy folks- I am searching for a good book on playing great bluegrass rhythm guitar. I play mandolin mostly, but my wife picks mandolin as well, and I like to back her up. I have so much bluegrass guitar flatpicking material but really want something that focuses on solid rhythm approaches. Jimmy Martin, Del McCoury, Tony Rice (rhythm only)- that is what I want. I also prefer books- I stare at a screen for work all day, so would like to have a book on my music stand to reference. If it is available in PDF, that is ok. Thanks in advance for any good recommendations!
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.

Default Re: Best bluegrass rhythm guitar instructional book?

The stuff Dan Miller put together at Flatpicking Magazine is top notch.

https://flatpickdigital.com/view_book.php?eid=94

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astocek For This Useful Post:

Listen to Jimmy Martin, Charlie Waller, and Clarence White, about every waking moment, ( maybe sleeping too) a rhythm guitar has to drive to be grass, so many today don’t. It’s all about timing, I don’t see how you get that from a book!!
    Oh yeah Billy String is about the grassyest ( is there such a word) rhythm guitarist today

There's a book on Charlie Monroe's rhythm technique which is pretty cool as I recall. And John Schwab's book on OT rhythm guitar.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Thanks Brad and Astrocek! the flatpick material is what I am looking for. And Brad, I actually bought both the Charlie Monroe book and the John Schwab book at the beginning of the pandemic. It got buried under all the mando stuff I bought too. I appreciate the replies. Mandoplumb, I play mando in my bluegrass band and at festivals so I am more focused on that than watching what the guitar player is doing. But your advice is great- I listen to them daily but I will focus my listening on their playing rather than listening to the mandolin (at least some of the time).
    Best regards,
    Max
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.