Thread: Double stop soloing help.

Default Double stop soloing help.

Recently I’ve been set back a bit by double stops and I feel like there’s something I'm not grasping. Often I’ll see bluegrass guys solo a melody, then on the second break or so they’ll do a version of the tune using mostly double stops. I know most of my double stop positions but when it comes to playing a melody using them I get a bit lost. Seems like the double stops used don’t always correspond to the chord, more the main key of the tune? I get a little lost sometimes during hammer one and pull offs during double stops, this is usually where the confusion comes in for me since I’m thinking of soloing out of chord changes and the notes used don’t always correspond. To see an example of what I’m talking about check out David Benedict’s mega solo for Durango’s hornpipe. On the second or third break he uses a lot of double stops to play the melody. I want to be able to do this eventually but I need some ideas on how to get started. Thanks everybody!

2. The following members say thank you to Mad Martigan1 for this post:

Tony S 

Default Re: Double stop soloing help.

Check out the Peghead nation "Bluegrass Mandolin Fingerboard method" taught by Sharon Gilchrist, it focuses on exactly what you are talking about, its an intermediate course (you need to know your chop chords) all prerecorded so you can take your time.
    Sharon shows the basic moveable doublestop pattern for 1,4,5 chord songs and then gives examples of doubestops in melodies of many common bluegrass tunes, throwing in some Monroe licks as well.
    I highly recommend it.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Practice your melodies (say, some fiddle tunes) by adding any note that sounds right to you along with the melody note. Experiment. Work out phrase by phrase or note by note what you like. Experiment. Then, practice your own doublestop arrangement of it until you can play it well.

You will begin to learn how to add and use doublestops.

You do not need to slavishly add a double stop on every single note! It’s like a good seasoning in the sauce.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Hot Solos For Bluegrass Mandolin - 5 of the 6 tunes include harmonized melodies in doublestops. Playing off the harmony, or including phrases based on a harmony are important aspect of soloing.

https://www.elderly.com/products/hot...n#more-details

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

For me, working out arrangements on my own as described was the start; once you begin, you’ll find it easier to assimilate where the double stops lie and the appropriate drone notes. A knowledge of chord building will keep you going when improvising solos.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I’ll do it! Thanks for always providing helpful info!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Pick out a favorite "simple" fiddle tune you know the melody of. Make sure that you can hum the melody from memory. Work out the relevant major scales in double stops in the I , IV, and V chords. The pattern will remain the same if you start with a 3/1 a third and a first. The first and third of the relevant major scale the pattern will be together apart, apart together etc. Example the G, C and D in a G major tune. Then find the pentatonic pattern within the scale. Play the melody adding double stops at the beginning and ending of chord changes. As your ear develops you will "hear" more and more places to use double stops. It's a work in progress. Listen to fiddle players. Look into playing in closed positions. With an instrument tuned to fifths G to E a chord may be made playing any two tones. Some are more useful than others. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

I have several tunes that I like to play in all double stops. It really gives them power without a chop strum when singing along. It will also carry very well in a jam over simply playing the melody.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I learn the chords and reduce them to double stops listening for the melody. The keys of G and A are good ones to start as one can use open strings for effect. Try tunes like Amazing Grace, Wayfaring Stranger, Long Journey Home, Roll in my Sweet Baby’s Arms, really any one you like.

Flinner, Julin, and Mandolessons have good DS stuff.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

This free book from user Pickloser was invaluable for me in understanding double stops and how they connect. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...5&d=1512233138

I pretty much always have my hands on a double stop or drone when I am playing lead. I do play single notes but I am never far from utilizing double stops based out of chord tones. There are obviously many different ways to utilize double stops. Just from looking at the video briefly it would appear David is walking up the scale harmonizing with the 3rd of the note being played...

So if you are going from the 1 (lets say in G) it would have a major 3rd added. If you did this on the E and A string for example:
    E 3 5 7 8
    A 2 3 5 7

I typically have my hands on chord tones but this is an interesting way to add depth to scale notes. (This is just one example and based on a major key) Sorry if this is confusing.

Don Julin has a course on double stops.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan1 View Post
    Recently I’ve been set back a bit by double stops and I feel like there’s something I'm not grasping. Often I’ll see bluegrass guys solo a melody, then on the second break or so they’ll do a version of the tune using mostly double stops. I know most of my double stop positions but when it comes to playing a melody using them I get a bit lost. Seems like the double stops used don’t always correspond to the chord, more the main key of the tune? I get a little lost sometimes during hammer one and pull offs during double stops, this is usually where the confusion comes in for me since I’m thinking of soloing out of chord changes and the notes used don’t always correspond. To see an example of what I’m talking about check out David Benedict’s mega solo for Durango’s hornpipe. On the second or third break he uses a lot of double stops to play the melody. I want to be able to do this eventually but I need some ideas on how to get started. Thanks everybody!
    I went over to patreon and looked at David’s solo on Durang’s Hornpipe, the chorus with a lot of doublestops. He’s definitely playing the chords rather than just in the key, but one thing that might confuse you is that he sometimes plays a semitone below a chordal doublestop and slides it up. And he does that on strong beats. Sounds great to me!

I don’t think there are any shortcuts that will get you anywhere near David’s ability to solo with doublestops. Just know your fingerboard and chord construction very well and slowly start working them in.

17. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Mandocrucian recommended one of his mandolin method books, and I recommend a second one of his books that you may find worthwhile. “Bluegrass Up The Neck” is very helpful with double stop positions as well as general fretboard navigation.