Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washburn mandolins

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Washburn mandolins

What is the forum’s take on Washburn mandolins? Does anyone own one?

I was watching a YouTube unboxing video of a new Washburn mandolin, and one of the tuning machines was clearly missing a screw.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Washburn mandolins

I have not seen any of the new ones but the ones I played a few years ago were awful. The sound was thin and the fit and finish were horrible.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Teacher, repair person

I wish there was a nice way to say this and still be accurate, but there is not.
    Unless something has changed drastically in the last year or two, Washburn instruments have very poor fit and finish, and very poor quality control. They are among the worst instruments being built today.
    Last edited by rcc56; Oct-30-2022 at 4:09pm.

I own a Washburn that I purchased about 7 years ago. Although it's not a high end instrument, I have had no issues with mine. The sound is good, once I got it setup properly, and have had no issues with the finish. Perhaps I was lucky to get a decent one.

5. The following members say thank you to TaraV808 for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I have not seen any of the new ones but the ones I played a few years ago were awful. The sound was thin and the fit and finish were horrible.
    ditto
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by TaraV808 View Post
    I own a Washburn that I purchased about 7 years ago. Although it's not a high end instrument, I have had no issues with mine. The sound is good, once I got it setup properly, and have had no issues with the finish. Perhaps I was lucky to get a decent one.
    Ditto
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

I played a new one in a store a couple weeks ago, the playability was fine and it didn't have any flaws I could see. I didn't like the sound though. Thin and very quiet to my ear.

I have had 2 washburn A models the first was crap, the second I played for 5 years until I traded it for my Tenor guitar when I bought my eastman 515 lefty

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Mine is brilliant. Too many of you seem to spend too much money on high end mandolins and then need to justify it by disparaging budget ones. Or is tone not in the fingers after all?

Open your ears. And shut your prejudice.

(And I’m sorry I’ve had the worst week and have run out of patience).
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

12. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

I’ve had one since 1985. A wedding present from my wife. Laminated top. No issues with the finish. Over the years I’ve replaced the plastic nut with a bone one, the tail piece with a Weber, the bridge with what I think is a Stew-Mac. All replaced due to them breaking over the years. I think about replacing the tuners… I mean what the hell, I’ve replaced everything else. But that aside, with a professional set -up and it’s overly indulgent replacement parts , it plays quite nicely and sounds pretty decent.
    I’ll admit that if it weren’t for the sentimental attachment I wouldn’t have overspent on repairs like I did, but I play it quite often as my “office” work break instrument and am quite happy with it

I bought a Washburn A style oval hole mandolin when I first got back into mandolin after years of not having one. I really wanted to love this mandolin, and although it looked cool it really wasn't good. The first fret was actually cut in crooked and that goofed up the intonation in the first position. I have no idea how they managed to do that as I thought that process was automated. It had a deeper than normal body and I wanted an oval hole sound but it just sounded odd on the low end and not in a good way. There was really nothing good about it other than the way it looked. I felt guilty about selling it. I'm sure they aren't all bad but the one I had was pretty bad. I moved up to a The Loar and that was a huge improvement.

15. The following members say thank you to DonKayG for this post:

I saw Jethro Burns do a solo set around 1980...if he wasn't the funniest person ever to open his mouth and a highly musical and entertaining player, the horrible, tinny, grating sound of his Washburn mandolin with a pickup plugged into a Fender amp would would have sent me running for the door
    too many strings

I play a Washburn, built in 2019 as I recall. I haven’t had any *obvious* problems with it, but on the other hand I’ve always vaguely felt like it doesn’t quite sound the way a mandolin aught to.

It’s also the only (modern) mandolin I’ve ever owned so I might just not know what I’m missing. 😅

I can’t say I’d recommend one to anybody.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Guitar Center carries Washburn mandolins but they are out of stock everywhere. Otherwise I’d give one a go.

I guess all the kinks aren’t worked out of the global supply chain and that’s slowing down instruments making their way to the States from China.

I have an oval hole, solid spruce top (pressed) with laminated maple back and sides. Strung with GHS Med/Light strings. I bought it for $210 about 6 months ago. It is about 10 years old by my guess. It would appear that the fit and finish was good when new. Playability is excellent (if you like a flat fret board). It sounds pretty darn good too, especially considering the price. Sounds much better than some other low end mangos IMHO. YMMV
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

I had one of the PacRim F styles back in the early 90s. I will say I probably paid a few hundred too much for it - shop worn, not a tone monster or banjo killer in any way shape or form, but for a beginning player it was decent, and a step up from what I had been playing. I let it go very cheap to a young player, so I think it was a good fit for him.
    I'll be honest Eastman is a probably a better bet for just a little more money.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I have a Jethro Burns Washburn M4S-SB from 1981 and it is a great sounding mandolin. I was very surprised how good it sounds. I just installed D'Addario EJ-74 strings last week and it is sounding even better.

I have not played a recent Washburn mandolin, so can't say how good they sound. If I were looking for a Washburn mandolin, I would be looking for the early 80's Japanese built Washburn Jethro Burns signature mandolin. If they are all like the one I have in regards to tone and playability you will be very happy.

22. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

I saw a new Washburn mandolin at a local music store last year and it was awful - terrible fit and finish, terrible fretboard and fret work, weak quiet thin tone. Obviously that Washburn was one data point, but I didn’t think it should have left the factory. I’m sure Washburn releases better examples of instruments, too, but after my experience I’d never even consider one without playing it first.

As long as YOU like any particular Washburn and feel the price is right, then good for you. Your satisfaction is the only concern. (Unless you later want to sell or trade - you’re not likely to get as much return on your money than if you’d bought a more popular brand like Eastman.)
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

[QUOTE=MandoMan1;1883497]I have a Jethro Burns Washburn M4S-SB from 1981 and it is a great sounding mandolin. I was very surprised how good it sounds.

I bought one of Jethro's Washburn Mandolins.. also an M4S-SB. This came from Chet Atkins via George Gruhn . It was a remarkably good instrument made in Japan.

I also owned a 1978 top of the line Washburn F style with herringbone purfling. Likewise a fine instrument. Bought new from Mandolin Bros.

The latest Washburn Mandolins are Washburn in name only.

Twenty years ago I had two- the tops of both sank.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Sounds like Cafe members have had varying experiences with Washburn Mandolins.
    The obvious seems to be "Play before you buy".
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

My first mandolin was a Washburn I bought new in 2018. It sounded OK, pretty good for a budget mandolin. The playability was not great, even after a professional set-up. Maybe the setup wasn't great, but it was a well respected local mandolin luthier that did it, so I'm more inclined to say it was the instrument.

It was fine for a starter instrument, but I think I would go straight for a flattop like my Big Muddy if I had it to do over again. I gave it away to the local roots music place, not sure if they sold if for funds or if they are loaning or renting it out as a starter instrument for others.

Teacher, repair person

I'll mention in brief that the ownership and leadership of the Washburn company has changed hands at least twice since the name was revived in the late 1970's.
    The current owner is a conglomerate called JAM Industries. There is no mention of the Washburn company on their website except to indicate that Washburn is brand is being handled by JAM's KMC division. It's a very different operation from the 1980's and 90's when Washburn functioned as an independent company.

Twice during the last five years, my friendly local music store made two efforts to carry Washburns. Both times, the instruments Washburn shipped to him were in unsaleable condition; and he returned the instruments and terminated his dealership with them. He won't be making another attempt to carry them.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I’ve mentioned before in the forum, I like my Washburn very much but I would never recommend one … I don’t think the model is currently available anyway. It cost me $400 new about 6 years ago, and Eastman & Kentucky both are better values for a little extra money new.

Mine has a carved spruce top, mahogany elsewhere. I consider it to be overbuilt, so a little underwhelming. It definitely feels good in my hands though. I did a setup on it when I got it.

Following is a video where I played it directly into an iPhone, added subtitles in the old Windows Moviemaker and uploaded to YouTube, no sound enhancements through DAW or anything.

https://youtu.be/R8BMYMwzE5g
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

30. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

[QUOTE=Jeff Hildreth;1883547]
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoMan1 View Post
    I have a Jethro Burns Washburn M4S-SB from 1981 and it is a great sounding mandolin. I was very surprised how good it sounds.

I bought one of Jethro's Washburn Mandolins.. also an M4S-SB. This came from Chet Atkins via George Gruhn . It was a remarkably good instrument made in Japan.

I also owned a 1978 top of the line Washburn F style with herringbone purfling. Likewise a fine instrument. Bought new from Mandolin Bros.

The latest Washburn Mandolins are Washburn in name only.
    Very cool your Washburn Jethro Burns mandolin was once owned by Chet Atkins and was also part of Jethro Burns personal collection, since Chet was Jethro's brother in law.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoMan1 For This Useful Post: