Thread: Praise for the Northfield Calhoun

Default Praise for the Northfield Calhoun

I am a guitar player and I've recently become interested in Ukulele and Mandolin. I picked up a used Gretsch New Yorker Deluxe which was OK. I dig that it has a pickup. Although it plays and sounds Ok, it is just OK. Not much mojo happening.

Feeling my interest in the mandolin growing, I decided to invest in a higher quality instrument and picked up a Northfield Calhoun. It really is a night and day difference.

The Calhoun is full of mojo and I find myself reaching for it constantly. It is really loud, and chimes and rings beautifully. Compared to the Gretsch, the Gretsch sounds boxy and compressed and a bit toy-like, where the Calhoun feels absolutely alive. Tons of magic in this mandolin. The Calhoun has really inspired my interest in learning and improving my skills. The Gretsch might make an open mic or something of that sort due to the pickup, but other than that, it comes up short in every way.

Of course, the Calhoun cost four times the price of the Gretsch. But the investment of $1000 was so worth it. I love that it's made in America as well, a rarity in any instrument in a sub $1000 price range! Seriously, I have fallen head over heels in love with the Calhoun!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monk66 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Praise for the Northfield Calhoun

Congratulations, and welcome to the obsession! Northfield is making some really impressive instruments through their entire line up right now…
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Congratulations, and welcome to the obsession! Northfield is making some really impressive instruments through their entire line up right now…
    Thanks! My skill level doesn't warrant a more expensive model but I so appreciate the thought and craftsmanship Northfield put into this little flattop! It is really rewarding to play, which is the most important aspect of an instrument, to be inspired to play it!

I played guitar for 40 years before picking up the mando and falling head over heals for it. I am sure that one of the reasons is, I didn’t screw around with progressing through 39 mandolins of varying quality before getting a good one. My skill level might never match the mando I play, but it makes me want to play it more than any other instrument I own, and that leads to me progressing at a quick rate.

Enjoy it!

Congratulations & enjoy!

I own a Calhoun, my only mando, and it's worth the $.

I'd say you've got good taste, sir.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Yup. A plywood instrument will never win a shoot-out with a solid-wood axe. Northfield: Good company, good choice!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Blog Entries

I also just purchased the Northfield Calhoun. I must say that I am loving it.
    Northfield Calhoun Mandolin
    Eastman MD505 Mandolin
    Seagull S8 Mandolin
    Godin A8 Mandolin

Fishman Loudbox Mini
    Blue Chip Picks

Wayne