Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thats a suprise Regal Reverse Scroll

Default Re: Thats a suprise Regal Reverse Scroll

I believe that below the equator the scroll flows clockwise and above the equator counter-clockwise.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Mr Garber's geographical observations are indeed correct. Below is a pic of an Australian Vegemite and cheese scroll, clockwise! (Vegemite can be explained if required)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheese-and-vegemite-scroll-cheesy-mite-scroll-156341-2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	373.7 KB 
ID:	204306

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

That's right. South of the equator it is the Choro_oly effect...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Oliver For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Mr Garber's geographical observations are indeed correct. Below is a pic of an Australian Vegemite and cheese scroll, clockwise! (Vegemite can be explained if required)

Name:	cheese-and-vegemite-scroll-cheesy-mite-scroll-156341-2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	373.7 KB 
ID:	204306
    For those of us born in the Space Age, Graham, food that comes in a squeezeable tube needs no explanation.

The US might have been locked in a Space Race with the USSR, but we are simultaneously engaged in a tubular food race with many nations.

Vegemite was a winner.

The battle over, but the war goes on.

Mick

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tube.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	204332  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

9. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

No one here buys Vegemite in tubes. Glass jars with a kilo at a time are the go.

11. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    For those of us born in the Space Age, Graham, food that comes in a squeezeable tube needs no explanation.

The US might have been locked in a Space Race with the USSR, but we are simultaneously engaged in a tubular food race with many nations.

Vegemite was a winner.

The battle [is] over, but the war goes on.
    Whoa, now, hold on, there. You're making some assumptions, and I believe they are not grounded in fact.

I am not aware of the US or any other country being "engaged in a tubular food race with many nations." I have seldom seen and rarely partaken of food from a tube. Condiments, sure, but food? Main courses or even side dishes? No, sir, not in my experience. Even if there has been some sort of activity in this area, I hardly think it exists on a comparable level. Any such alleged race has escaped my notice all this time, since the Space Race began sixty years ago. And I keep my eyes and ears and nose open; I think I would have noticed.

I'm not sure how Vegemite is a winner in any way, other than that an enterprising fellow figured out a way to repurpose waste yeast leavings from breweries as a food item. For reasons unknown to me, it grew to be popular in Australia and the enterprise of manufacturing it grew to be a company and then a corporation. I will admit to never having tasted the product, but I have sampled Marmite - reportedly similar, indeed a predecessor and model of sorts, and supposedly milder in flavor and aroma - and found it, ah, uninteresting. I do not understand how Vegemite is any sort of winner, other than serving as an example of how to practice efficiency in food processing. And surely how to mount a successful marketing campaign.

I do apologize to any of my Australian brethren and sestren who may be more fond of Vegemite than I. I mean no disrespect, condescension, or insult. The stuff is not for me - as I said, I assume - and my main objection here is to being dragged unwillingly into a conjectured culture war in which something so odd is a key element.

I think I'm going to practice some material for the weekly gig. I feel a need to reacquaint myself with my true purpose. Not that this hasn't been somewhat amusing ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

And a matching scroll on the soundhole end of the fretboard. Wow!

Tasty!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

15. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NRMiller1958 View Post
    And a matching scroll on the soundhole end of the fretboard. Wow!
    Thanks for pointing that out. Overlooked it. But it's in the opposite direction! As is the headstock scroll.

In the Gibson style, main scroll and headstock scroll are in the same direction, producing an appealing uniformity. The Regal approach seems discordant in comparison. To my weary eyes, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Whoa, now, hold on, there. You're making some assumptions, and I believe they are not grounded in fact.

I am not aware of the US or any other country being "engaged in a tubular food race with many nations." I have seldom seen and rarely partaken of food from a tube. Condiments, sure, but food? Main courses or even side dishes? No, sir, not in my experience. Even if there has been some sort of activity in this area, I hardly think it exists on a comparable level. Any such alleged race has escaped my notice all this time, since the Space Race began sixty years ago. And I keep my eyes and ears and nose open; I think I would have noticed.

I'm not sure how Vegemite is a winner in any way, other than that an enterprising fellow figured out a way to repurpose waste yeast leavings from breweries as a food item. For reasons unknown to me, it grew to be popular in Australia and the enterprise of manufacturing it grew to be a company and then a corporation. I will admit to never having tasted the product, but I have sampled Marmite - reportedly similar, indeed a predecessor and model of sorts, and supposedly milder in flavor and aroma - and found it, ah, uninteresting. I do not understand how Vegemite is any sort of winner, other than serving as an example of how to practice efficiency in food processing. And surely how to mount a successful marketing campaign.

I do apologize to any of my Australian brethren and sestren who may be more fond of Vegemite than I. I mean no disrespect, condescension, or insult. The stuff is not for me - as I said, I assume - and my main objection here is to being dragged unwillingly into a conjectured culture war in which something so odd is a key element.

I think I'm going to practice some material for the weekly gig. I feel a need to reacquaint myself with my true purpose. Not that this hasn't been somewhat amusing ...
    JB way back when I was a kid, a long time ago, we had a tube you broke open and out popped cinnamon rolls, which you then baked. There are also bread products that come in a tube. Both are still around.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I know what you mean. Pillsbury, I believe, and still around. But I think brunello was talking about food in a squeeze tube. I've seen mayo, wasabi, and other things packaged that way. But other than tomato paste, I've never seen any food product that would even be used in cooking per se, besides as a condiment. Not even Vegemite - only in a glass jar.

Ultimately a beautiful design of nature. Discovered by Leonardo Fibonacci. Whichever way it points.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 10.13.48 AM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	204333

No one here buys Vegemite in tubes. Glass jars with a kilo at a time are the go.
    You can't fly with a 2lb jar of Vegemite, though.

Got to think ahead when packing your dop kit, Graham.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

You can't fly with a 2lb jar of Vegemite, though.

Got to think ahead when packing your dop kit, Graham.

Mick
    I usually bring over a tube or two for affectionados in the US. A visit in July next year for there GAL convention is planned. If you feel the need for some of Godszone sandwich spread it can be arranged.

Blog Entries

The cultural reference that introduced the stuff to the rest of the world. No recommendation, no condemnation, no judgment - just acknowledgement of its existence, with a soupçon of name recognition among those familiar with Australiana.

Wow, this thread really has gone astray. Um, isn't sausage "food in a tube"?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

24. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I usually bring over a tube or two for affectionados in the US. A visit in July next year for there GAL convention is planned. If you feel the need for some of Godszone sandwich spread it can be arranged.
    We've got it here, Graham, thanks just the same.

The IGA grocery chain carries it, as I'm sure it's likely in my local shop. Way up on the top shelf in Aisle 10.

The Kraft brand markets it as the "Travel Pack" with a jolly type font.

Some cranky doubting orsi here might have missed the diet that John Glenn et al took into space. He might have been a bit jealous of the "Texas Burger in a Tube" that his cosmonaut pals were enjoying.

Or as Lyle Lovett put it "Could you make that a cheeseburger?"

What was this thread about in the first place?

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

26. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

It started being about a Regal mandolin with a reverse-oriented (in the Gibson-and-similar-design universe) scroll, and a dovetail joint that is perhaps more interesting but has been overlooked, possibly because there's not as much frivolity to be found there.

I've been trying to hold my tongue, hoping this all would just fade away ... doesn't seem to have worked. But since we've gone this far, I think it's time to be clear about terms.

First of all, no, sausage and Pillsbury bake products do not come in a tube. A tube is defined as a hollow cylindrical object used for conveying liquids and gases. (By extension, soft solids may also be conveyed in a similar manner, by use of a squeeze tube; toothpaste is by far the most common product incorporating this delivery system, and other medical products such as ointments and creams would appear in a distant second place.) The previously-mentioned items and similar may be cylindrical in shape - that is, tubular - but they are not tubes - they are just packaged in a way that resembles tubes. If they were intended to be used as tubes, the common method would be to cut off one end and squeeze out the contents through that opening. I believe that is not the case. The contents are typically unwrapped and removed in a transverse manner.

I am well aware of what astronauts used to (and may still) take into space for nutrition, and the form devised by engineers to facilitate this in zero-gravity conditions. I aver that this never became commonly provided for general consumption, which is what "engaged in a tubular food race with many nations" would imply. I doubt there are a great many food items available in this form, be it on the same aisle in a grocery store as jars or even tubes of Vegemite. I wouldn't be too surprised to learn there are a few such items, but not enough to amount to some sort of cultural contest.

Finally, when using foreign languages with humorous intent, it's wise to make sure not to misspell. Misspelling in the language being commonly used in a discussion is one thing, as context will help readers to understand what was meant. But misspelling in other languages, such as Latin, could produce results which are far removed from what was intended. Assuming that "orsi" was meant to refer to the plural of the Latin word for "bear," to address this participant in the current silliness - well, yes, all right, but incorrect. The Latin word for "bear" is "ursus," and while the "-i" suffix is correct for the plural form, "orsus" is something else altogether. It means either "web (weaving)" or "beginning, start." So "ursi" would have been what should have been said.

I, too, miss talking about mandolins. I mean, this is fun and all, and thanks, MandoMaximus, for reminding us about Fibonacci and his beautiful mathematics, physical evidence of which shows up so often in so many wondrous forms. But ... i yi yi. I'm more glad than ever that I play a mandolin with the classic A model body shape. It may not be as fancy as F-style models, but the simplicity is charming in its own right, and as I see now, so much less complicated.

PS: If someone wants to take me to task on any of this, do us a favor and quote just the part you wish to address, not the whole bloody thing. Goodness, this is a whole lot of blah-de-blah that really ain't no part of - well, not nothing, but not much. Thanks.

No food comments, but here's a odd question of the day...

I can't help but notice that the dove tail angle matched the angle of the body curve at the neck joint almost perfectly. Is it possible this was done on purpose to make a stronger joint evenly distributing the stress to both sides of the neck block rather than have one side of the neck block thicker than the other??

It started being about a Regal mandolin with a reverse-oriented (in the Gibson-and-similar-design universe) scroll, and a dovetail joint that is perhaps more interesting but has been overlooked, possibly because there's not as much frivolity to be found there.

I've been trying to hold my tongue, hoping this all would just fade away ... doesn't seem to have worked. But since we've gone this far, I think it's time to be clear about terms.

First of all, no, sausage and Pillsbury bake products do not come in a tube. A tube is defined as a hollow cylindrical object used for conveying liquids and gases. (By extension, soft solids may also be conveyed in a similar manner, by use of a squeeze tube; toothpaste is by far the most common product incorporating this delivery system, and other medical products such as ointments and creams would appear in a distant second place.) The previously-mentioned items and similar may be cylindrical in shape - that is, tubular - but they are not tubes - they are just packaged in a way that resembles tubes. If they were intended to be used as tubes, the common method would be to cut off one end and squeeze out the contents through that opening. I believe that is not the case. The contents are typically unwrapped and removed in a transverse manner.

I am well aware of what astronauts used to (and may still) take into space for nutrition, and the form devised by engineers to facilitate this in zero-gravity conditions. I aver that this never became commonly provided for general consumption, which is what "engaged in a tubular food race with many nations" would imply. I doubt there are a great many food items available in this form, be it on the same aisle in a grocery store as jars or even tubes of Vegemite. I wouldn't be too surprised to learn there are a few such items, but not enough to amount to some sort of cultural contest.

Finally, when using foreign languages with humorous intent, it's wise to make sure not to misspell. Misspelling in the language being commonly used in a discussion is one thing, as context will help readers to understand what was meant. But misspelling in other languages, such as Latin, could produce results which are far removed from what was intended. Assuming that "orsi" was meant to refer to the plural of the Latin word for "bear," to address this participant in the current silliness - well, yes, all right, but incorrect. The Latin word for "bear" is "ursus," and while the "-i" suffix is correct for the plural form, "orsus" is something else altogether. It means either "web (weaving)" or "beginning, start." So "ursi" would have been what should have been said.

I, too, miss talking about mandolins. I mean, this is fun and all, and thanks, MandoMaximus, for reminding us about Fibonacci and his beautiful mathematics, physical evidence of which shows up so often in so many wondrous forms. But ... i yi yi. I'm more glad than ever that I play a mandolin with the classic A model body shape. It may not be as fancy as F-style models, but the simplicity is charming in its own right, and as I see now, so much less complicated.

PS: If someone wants to take me to task on any of this, do us a favor and quote just the part you wish to address, not the whole bloody thing. Goodness, this is a whole lot of blah-de-blah that really ain't no part of - well, not nothing, but not much. Thanks.

"Orsi" is Italian, Big Fella.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

30. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

"Orsi" is Italian, Big Fella.
    Thanks for the clarification after the fact. Grazie, amico.

Oh well. I tried. Note to self: Maybe ease off on the coffee a bit ...

This does give me the opportunity to ask something I've been wondering - Are there any other well-known mandolin makers that have produced large quantities of "reverse-scroll" instruments on a regular basis? Or is Regal unique in this respect?

Gosh! Thread has gone totally tubular!
    This, now somewhat passe expression originated from the California surfing community, relating to the iconic ‘tube’ within which a skilled practitioner might enjoy being surrounded by a wall of water, should have originated in Australia, but oddly, did not.
    How this relates to food packaging is possibly a study for the academics, but I do have to take issue with JB’s definition of tube, since I use these in design with no consideration of conveying or containing anything. Of course, our messy and degenerate US technical terminology, reliant on otherwise extinct units of measure and descriptors, have long separated the cylindrical family into tubes and pipes, causing endless confusion.

When I first saw it I thought of the Banzi Pipeline. The most photographed wave in the world. Now I’m thinking I should brush my teeth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    ... I do have to take issue with JB’s definition of tube, since I use these in design with no consideration of conveying or containing anything.
    To be clear - which in retrospect, I see I was not - it's not my definition. It's a consensus definition compiled from several on-line dictionaries. That is, in an attempt to settle something that was bothering me - the conflation of tubular-shaped objects with actual tubular objects - I looked at several such resources to find a common thread that might help clarify what I saw as a discrepancy. All I was saying was that some things which look like tubes aren't really tubes, and it seemed this is due to their functionality.

Lawdy! For someone who actually believes in brevity, I sure have gone on and on about this. I do also have a devotion for thoroughness, and these two impeti (is that a word?) do conflict fairly often. Sigh ...

OK, I gotta get going to my gig. Play nice till evening. Or maybe just play mandolin. That's generally a better way to spend a Sunday.