Thread: The Loar 310brb vs 590ms

Default The Loar 310brb vs 590ms

Hi all, looking for purchase advice. I currently have a The Loar LM-310 brb and could purchase a used 590-ms for about $400. Would this be a significant upgrade? The main differences are a carved back and sides and Grover tuners, which the 310 does not have. Any input appreciated.

Default Re: The Loar 310brb vs 590ms

Quote Originally Posted by aqualung23 View Post
    Hi all, looking for purchase advice. I currently have a The Loar LM-310 brb and could purchase a used 590-ms for about $400. Would this be a significant upgrade? The main differences are a carved back and sides and Grover tuners, which the 310 does not have. Any input appreciated.
    I probably wouldnt; the upgrade probably would not be huge. Lessons would get you a lot more improvement, or save your dollars for a big upgrade instead of a little one.

If you have a chance to play it before buying, that would probably be worthwhile though, then your ears and fingers can be the judge of whether it's worth the money.

3. The following members say thank you to milli857 for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    save your dollars for a big upgrade instead of a little one
    Skip your second mandolin and go straight to your third mandolin.

Thanks for the advice guys! I actually really love the one I have and it seems like it was an excellent choice for a beginner. I’m going to spend some time with this for a while.

Let me throw some flies in the milk.. I have a 110 A honey creek which I love and use as my travel mandolin. I also own two Webers, a Gallatin and an Absaroka. I saw the 110 on the wall of a small shop tried it and really liked it for the price. They also had a 310 F and it was nice as well. Slightly better, a little more complex tone but also slightly more money. Both of these mandolins were set up well in this shop. I had an A style case to fill from a previous mandolin I sold, so I bought the 110 to bang around with. I've always thought a 590 might have the potential be a really good F provided it is set up well. All solid 590 vs just solid top on the 310. I suspect there would be a substantial difference and I could see making that upgrade.