Thread: Tenor ukulele tuned GDAE?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Tenor ukulele tuned GDAE?

I like to noodle on my mandolin or tenor banjo while I watch the news at night, but it (understandably) drives my wife nuts. I want an instrument quiet enough that I can noodle to my heart's content and yet not disturb my wife in another room. I'm thinking of getting this little Telecaster clone tenor ukulele. Being a solid body it won't make much noise at all unplugged;

https://www.americanmusical.com/vors...OR-FTLUK3-LIST

How cute it that?
    I'd like to string it to GDAE, but have no idea what strings I'd need. Scale length is 17".
    Any advice welcomed.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Tenor ukulele tuned GDAE?

No answers here, reposted on the makers' forum. Admins, if you don't like the double posting please delete this thread.
    www.busmanwhistles.com

Question Re: Tenor ukulele tuned GDAE?

Consider EBF#C#, FCGD or CGDA , if not octave GDAE?

experiment with nylon guitar, baritone uke strings?

Shorter 14" scale Aquila has some; Baroque era Mandolin,

they may be long enough-

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Consider EBF#C#, FCGD or CGDA , if not octave GDAE?

experiment with nylon guitar, baritone uke strings?

Shorter 14" scale Aquila has some; Baroque era Mandolin,

they may be long enough-

I'd want to stick with steel strings so I can play electrified if I ever want to. I doubt my local Iris session would appreciate that though
    Octave GDAE might be the way to go. The scale length of this uke is not the same as an octave mandolin, but might be close enough.
    www.busmanwhistles.com

I have a Goldtone electric mandolin which is just under a 15" scale. I bought it for the same reason you're looking for one. I bought strings from emando.com for it. The 8 string set gives two sets of strings. While the mandolin is a poorly built piece of junk that constantly needs adjustments, the strings are far better than what came on it.

I don't know if the scale length difference would be too much for GDAE tuning on the one you're looking at though. String length won't be an issue. They also sell octave sets. No financial interest in them. It's hard to find good electric mandolin strings at a good price.

A soprano ukulele could be an option. Aquila sells a string set for tuning it in GDAE.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I had one of these 12 years ago, tuned to OM GDAE with nylon guitar strings (these instruments can't survive the pull of steel strings):

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Question Re: Tenor ukulele tuned GDAE?

One issue with fitting steel strings on a uke is: [ as you suggest above]

peeling off your glued on bridge & a simply glued on flat body-surface neck, no dove tail joints

Irish session? Banjo Uke or a banjo mandolin re made for 4* rather than 8 strings * (occasionally named a Melody banjo)

with a rim stick or rod thru the hoop & a tailpiece for the strains of the steel string tensions

maybe a tenor banjo uke ? Or a tenor guitar with Irish tenor banjo strings for that GDAE ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I like to noodle on my mandolin or tenor banjo while I watch the news at night, but it (understandably) drives my wife nuts. I want an instrument quiet enough that I can noodle to my heart's content and yet not disturb my wife in another room. I'm thinking of getting this little Telecaster clone tenor ukulele. Being a solid body it won't make much noise at all unplugged;

https://www.americanmusical.com/vors...OR-FTLUK3-LIST

How cute it that?
    I'd like to string it to GDAE, but have no idea what strings I'd need. Scale length is 17".
    Any advice welcomed.
    Find an online string tension calculator and check the string tension on a standard mandolin for each string then increase the scale length on the calculator to 17" and mess with the gauges until you get a tension that is close to that of the standard mandolin scale. That will get you close. Ultimately, its going to be trial and error.