Thread: Jetel Banjolin 1930s

Default Jetel Banjolin 1930s

This is in the UK and the German tuners suggest 1930s and I assume it was retailed by J. Thibouville Lamy from the London arm of the company but made in Paris or Mirecourt. I assume it is pre-1934 as I don't think its country of origin is shown which became mandatory at that time but it could have been assembled in London to avoid this requirement. An attractive instrument which is, apparently, in good order.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265971527...Bk9SR6TvxsSJYQ

Here is one photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	204095

Default Re: Jetel Banjolin 1930s

From Wikipedia
    The Pierrot of popular taste also spawned a uniquely English entertainment. In 1891, the singer and banjoist Clifford Essex, resolved to create a troupe of English Pierrot entertainers,[54] and called them the seaside Pierrots who, as late as the 1950s, performed on the piers of Brighton, Margate, and Blackpool.[55] They inspired the Will Morris Pierrots, named after their Birmingham founder. They originated in the Smethwick area in the late 1890s and played to large audiences in the Midlands. Walter Westley Russell committed these performers to canvas in The Pierrots (c. 1900).”

And Harley Quinn, relative of Harlequin, rival of Pierrot, was voiced by a Sorkin. Pierrot is often considered a lefty.
    Discuss.