Thread: Steel strings for GDAE, Tenor Uke

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Steel strings for GDAE, Tenor Uke

I know this is a mandolin forum, but I figured builders could help me. TIA
    I like to noodle on my mandolin or tenor banjo while I watch the news at night, but heraring both(understandably) drives my wife nuts. I want an instrument quiet enough that I can noodle to my heart's content and yet not disturb my wife in another room. I'm thinking of getting this little Telecaster clone tenor ukulele. Being a solid body it won't make much noise at all unplugged;

https://www.americanmusical.com/vors...OR-FTLUK3-LIST

How cute it that?
    I'd like to string it to GDAE, but have no idea what strings I'd need. Scale length is 17".
    Any advice welcomed.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Steel strings for GDAE, Tenor Uke

Could try the ADBe strings from a guitar?

Default Re: Steel strings for GDAE, Tenor Uke

The highest-pitched and thinnest string of an electric guitar is typically tuned to E4. A mandolin's highest-pitched course is tuned to E5, an octave above that.

A normal plain steel string, regardless of gauge/size, will break at a guitar's 25.5" scale length as it approaches the pitch of G#4.

And a mandolin's thinnest course/string, tuned to E5, will generally break when longer than 15".

That 17" scale length will be problematic.

An electric concert ukulele with a 15" scale length will work for GDAE tuning. 17" scale length, not so much, but will work for CGDA mandola.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!