Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Chip CT 55 versus Dunlop Prime Tone 1.4

Default Re: Blue Chip CT 55 versus Dunlop Prime Tone 1.4

At any rate I gave the Blue Chip CT 55 a 5 star review on their website.
    I do especially like it on the dola, octave and cello, but it also sounds great on the mandolin.
    I will still use Prime Tone, and might venture into Tone Slab country who knows.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I like the tone of Blue Chips better. I hear more pick click with the Prime Tones and a little more treble. The Blue Chip sounds richer. I think the Prime Tone slides off the strings better than BC.

My experience seems to match a lot of those in this thread. I prefer the BC CT55 (tone, smooth play, never gets rough and fuzzy) and have it tucked into the strings on my Kimble, but have bunches of the much-lower-priced but almost-as-good Prime Tones scattered around in other instruments, in cases, on shelves, etc.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

So the Primetones were'nt for me so I now have 2 new Blues and will try to keep a close eye on them.
    I use a TPR 40 which many will find too light but it works for me. I looked everywhere and it doesn't seem like anyone makes a comparable shape.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    have bunches of the much-lower-priced but almost-as-good Prime Tones scattered around in other instruments, in cases, on shelves, etc.
    I keep my BC TAD-60 on my desk in my office, and it is my go-to pick, but I keep two Primetone 1.5 Large Triangles right next to it, I have at least two Primetones in every guitar & mandolin case, and I keep several in a cat food bowl on top of my amplifier (this greatly confuses the cats).

Hard to talk about differences between one, I don't own both.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

To throw in a ham sandwich, I like the Wegen M150s over the primetones. They don't have as much click for me. And, not a BC fan.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

8. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

As often as not I use my picks long enough that I forget just what they were. Eyeball and feel tell me what I want to play. My picks (like our dogs) tend to be old pedigrees or simply mutts.
    Other Player: “What pick do you use?”
    Me: [Holds up pick.] “This one.”
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

All the BC options seem to be either too rounded or too pointy (for me).

I've gotten to where I like the Bluechips.

And the Prmetones...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I am gathering from this thread that both Prime Tone and Blue Chip are quite popular, however that seems to be from more experienced players.

Does it make sense for a beginner to start with something like that? Probably.
    I'm pretty sure I started with whatever guitar pick was handy, not thinking the pick mattered. Then you hear someone play with one these and you start thinking about refining the right hand.

I know I tried a lot of different picks before settling on Prime Tone, and even then I went through several different Prime Tone styles before landing on the 1.4 triangles.

I will say I am not crazy about the Wegen, Golden Gate or Dawg style picks, and that is only from user error, I just can't seem to get consistent tone and volume out of those.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I am gathering from this thread that both Prime Tone and Blue Chip are quite popular, however that seems to be from more experienced players.

Does it make sense for a beginner to start with something like that? Probably.
    I'm pretty sure I started with whatever guitar pick was handy, not thinking the pick mattered. Then you hear someone play with one these and you start thinking about refining the right hand.

I know I tried a lot of different picks before settling on Prime Tone, and even then I went through several different Prime Tone styles before landing on the 1.4 triangles.

I will say I am not crazy about the Wegen, Golden Gate or Dawg style picks, and that is only from user error, I just can't seem to get consistent tone and volume out of those.
    My own take is it doesn't take a lot of experience to decide on what pick works for you. Now, once experience comes, maybe a person will switch between picks depending on the instrument, mood and setting. I sure do. But I also have a number of friends with many more years of experience playing that use Fender heavy or mediums or similar and are quite content with how they sound.

As to the OP, will switch between the BC TAD-1R 40 (or sometimes 50) and a Prime Tone 1.4 or even a 351 shaped 1.0 depending on mood or situation. Some days when playing in public the thinner Prime Tone just seems to work better. No idea why. Probably due to right hand technique. Or complete lack thereof.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

14. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    All the BC options seem to be either too rounded or too pointy (for me).
    I decided to swim against the tide and go for a brighter sound, use a (pointed) 45 TP and play about 1 1/2" from the bridge (so no interference with the extension). Seems like my old F5 calls for it – much like Bobby Osborne's.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post: