Thread: Mandolin open tunings

Default Mandolin open tunings

I want to play open tunings (ADAD, DDAD & others). I think it will help me when transferring to the fiddle.
    I tried tuning AEAE & the tuners really were hard to turn getting the lower AEs.
    Any tips?

Default Re: Mandolin open tunings

If you are using regular medium gauge strings you have to tune higher and add tension to the top. If you have more than one mandolin you might want to put lighter strings on it especially on the bass strings. Depending on the type of mandolin you are playing, of course.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A cheap instrument tuned GDGD can actually sound great.
    Try FCFC too, it can bring out some extra tone.
    These tunings (almost-fifths) can help with the transition to standard tuning, fiddle or mandolin.
    Be careful to play as a mandolinist since open tunings can encourage an ex-guitarist to continue with some bad habits.
    Good luck!!

EADG is a good tuning.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Thanks everyone. I am using a cheaper Kentucky mandolin for this. It’s the one I bought 1st years ago. DDAD sounds nice. I haven’t tuned down yet other than DDAD. I am finding that I’ll be better to tune down from standard tuning. Definitely not necessary to tune up the ADAD when I can learn fingering patterns playing GDGD. I’ll be trying the other tunings you have put in this thread!👍
    Last edited by dulcibutch; Nov-13-2022 at 10:25am. Reason: Adding brand of mandolin