Thread: Has anyone tried the KNA UP-2 pickup?

Default Has anyone tried the KNA UP-2 pickup?

New to mandolin but have played guitar and bass in bar bands for 40+ years. Am learning the instrument (an old but serviceable Michael Kelly F style) for recording with a young original 'outlaw country' songwriter. Will be using an ambient mic with a transducer pickup.

Anyone tried the UP-2 or similar? All reviews I've found have been very positive, which is rare. But wanted to try to get some personal experiences from more accomplished players.

Default Re: Has anyone tried the KNA UP-2 pickup?

I have not used this particular pickup (I have K&K's installed in my mandolins), but I do have a KNA pickup on my tenor banjo and a friend of mine has a KNA on his nylon string acoustic guitar. Easy to install (in both instruments you attach them to the bridge) and with good sound quality.

Hope this helps, cheers, Michael

I got it in today and it works amazingly well. Will be even better thru a K&K Pure pre on a belt clip. Kinda impressed so far for the price. Eventually we'll have a good condenser mic for the mandolin, as well.

My Yamaha LL11 is getting a KNA SG-1 on the bridge. I hear good things about them, as well.

So I've been reading up and finally figured out I don't need an impedance matching pre at all, since I am going to either of my bass rigs and always to the board from there. I will probably add a Boss AD-2 to my pedal board or a good EQ. Since I'll be switching between mando, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and upright bass. Just need to write down settings for each when switching.

Does you bass rig have a HiZ input, it not you still need the impedance matching pre to get a good sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

No, both are just std line level. So far both sound great for upright, acoustic, and mandolin. But no live work yet. Only practice and recording.

Soooo ... I just had my first session at gig volume and it was disappointing. Oddly enough the little stick-on pup worked pretty good on my Yamaha 6 string but not so much on the mandolin. Looks like another K&K pup is in order. I love the one on my upright.

Still need to figure out the preamp though for all three instruments.

A pre amp like the RedEye will work for about anything and not a lot of adjustment in between instrument changes.

I looked at the Redeye, but I won't be going to the board. All the instruments will go to an amp first, then to the board from there, post EQ. It didn't look like the Redeye had an instrument out?

Resident Hack

Red-Eye absolutely has an instrument out. I used to run it between my mando and a Loudbox
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

I may have looked at the wrong version. The one I see has fx send and return and an XLR out? Do you just use the fx loop to the amp?

There is effects loop send and return, use the send to the amp. If your amp has an xlr you could use the normal xlr to the amp. If you want phantom power instead of battery you could use the xlr to the PA and get your phantom power, but not turn the volume up on the channel since you want to go thru your amp. You can also use the battery in the pre, it lasts quite a while.

Ahhh ... thanks. For 40 years I've played thru mic'd amps. I'm a Neanderthal who knows almost nothing about live sound except when someone is stepping on my frequencies.