Thread: New to me Collings MT

Default New to me Collings MT

A band ate acquired a beautiful Collings MT2 which has caused me some mandolin envy. I decided to see if I could find a used Collings at a “reasonable price”. I ended up finding a used Collings MT through GC’s national website. It had languished in northern Illinois for over 3 months. I was able to wrangle a 10% “price drop” discount and took a chance, knowing the return policy

The mandolin arrived safely and was indeed in very good condition. The strings were “graveyard dead”. The only deficiencies were some some slight fret wear, a tiny pinhole nick in the top finish, and some general grime due to GC’s failure to perform cleanup. So I performed a light fret dressing, cleaned her up, and threw on a new set of strings.

My evaluation after 3 days is that this is a solid instrument. Nice woods, plain finish, excellent workmanship. Rich, throaty, resonant tone which doesn’t break up. Don’t know about bluegrass (since I don’t play bluegrass) but good for most anything else.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George Henry For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New to me Collings MT

I picked up a Collings (2 of my friends had MT2s), I happen to stumble upon a used 09 F5 Blonde wide nut, I was specifically in the market for a wide nut but not necessarily a Collings.
    Needless to say it is a wonderful mandolin with great tone and playability and that signature Collings sound, a kind of crystalline ringing haze on each pick stroke,'
    We played the MT2 with the F5 and a Weinman F5, and the similarity in the tone of the 2 Collings stood out like a soar thumb.
    While i wouldn't say they sound like traditional Gibson, they are in class by themselves.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Blog Entries

Sounds like a good get! One of my favorite mandolins ever was a Collins MT I had for a while. It was really, really nice. Congrats!

What is "GC"?
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    What is "GC"?
    Guitar Center

Well, I ended up taking the Collings back with the return period. Although it is a very fine instrument, I couldn’t justify spending $3,000 for a mandolin I would occasionally use. I currently play guitar and octave mandolin in our group. We already have a mandolinist with a Collings MT2. I am not mandolin-less anyway, since I own a 1929 Martin style 20.

Is this the one listed in Knoxville, TN on GC’s website right now? It tempts me though I already have a Colling MT in the matte Sheraton Brown. That flame on the back is just so pretty.

Wow that IS PRETTY!

Knoxville is the place. The GC had in stock a ever so lightly used Eastman MD-815 for $1300 less than the Collings would have cost, so I brought it home. The Eastman just ticked so many boxes; less expensive, beautiful adi top, finger-rest, armrest, pearl truss rod cover, perfectly shaped neck. And the sound works for me; woody and smooth verses the clear and and precise Collings. And I’ve still got the approval period to make to make sure.

I know that an Eastman isn’t a Collings. But this one is pretty good, and at a price I’m comfortable with.

I think that’s a sensible choice. I actually have an Eastman, too, and I think that they can be great mandolins and gorgeous. Congrats on your new mandolin!