Thread: Vega Cylinderback

Default Vega Cylinderback

Hi all.
    Listening to Mike Gugginos duo-project, I noticed he's playing this Vega 202 mandolin, that has a curved back. The tone is clearly more mellow, than the usual bluegrass suspects. I guess the shape and also the mahogany contributes to the tone. It sounds fantastic, and MAS has set in.

But prices are not so clear. I see previous listings ranging from 600 to 1200$. I am not looking for an instrument in perfect condition, but what should one expect to pay for a Vega? They're around a 100 years old, and for what I've read, the top can warp from too heavy strings.

2. The following members say thank you to BessieM for this post:

Default Re: Vega Cylinderback

There is a design flaw around the pickguard inlaid into the top that causes some warpage though I am sure some might have been caused by heavier strings. Look for one without the warp. They are very nice instruments and the earlier Vega bowlbacks are excellent as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Teacher, repair person

The only $500 - $600 listing I found was a wreck.

I'd say that for one in nice cosmetic condition with no structural problems, $1200 to $1800 would be closer to the current norm.
    I paid $1650 for one that was nicer than most some years back. I wouldn't let it go for any less.
    You might be able to find a worn but serviceable one for less than $1200, but it will take some patience and some luck.

I'll mention that Vega tended to grind their frets very low. Be prepared to budget for a re-fret if you want the instrument to be as friendly as possible.
    Last edited by rcc56; Nov-14-2022 at 7:29pm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vega front.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	204235

I've enjoyed my cylinderback for years - handed down to me by my Mom.
    Patrick Melly

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

A few years back, I took in a friend's Vega pair, a cylinderback mandola and mandocello for a summer while he was traveling.

Mellow, is quite rightly the term.

We considered sneaking back to Texas at the time before he returned from his trip.

Mick

Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

If a warmer sound appeals, broadly speaking, an oval sound hole and larger body will be the specification. Any good maker. Strings also have an influence, and they are discussed endlessly on this forum. Try some out if you can.
    A cylinderback appeared recently on a more or less low-information auction site. Could have had all sorts of problems, but sold high because bidders look at the records for good, or repaired ones, and bid questionable ones high. So you might get one for, say $600 that’s $1000 away from being very good.

Teacher, repair person

Vega cylinder backs have a sound that is all their own. They tend to have a "rounder" or "thicker" voice than the flat back mandolins built by Martin, Vega, the Chicago builders, and the Larsons.