Thread: My pinky hates me now

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default My pinky hates me now

I’ve been practicing, and struggling with, some 3-finger chords. I happen to be thumbing through Mandolin for Dummies, and I got to the chapter on Jethro Burns. They showed a whole bunch of different 3-finger cords, major, minor, and the various 7s. And as I was looking at the diagrams and the recommended fingering, I noticed that in a lot of the shapes, they recommended using the pinky. That’s something that I hadn’t been doing.

So I’ve been practicing some of these 3-fingers chord shapes using my pinky, and I’ve been doing a much better, smoother job making chord changes.

Only now my previously callus free pinky is screaming in pain. He looks like I’ll be spending the next couple of weeks building up my pinky.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: My pinky hates me now

I personally use lots of three finger chords, but don’t use my pinky on any of them…
    Can’t see when the pinky would be useful…?
    I guess I’ll need to read what you’ve read
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

P. 117, root on top major chords, p. 119 root on top minor chords.

There are some positions that don't need a pinky at all (like the C 523x or G x523) and would be tough to add even if you wanted to. Then there are some that require the pinky (like the big chop 7523 or the big major7 5375) and cannot be played fully without the pinky (ignoring the "partial" chord etc). Of course there's some where it's players choice like the A shape (2245) or the D shape (245x) - you could use the pinky or ring finger usually. Then there's partial chords where you just ditch a string completely (like A7 2x43) but that's another topic haha.

I nearly always use my pinky for the 5th fret note on those "players choice" chords but I've seen many use their ringer finger instead. The "nearly" is because sometimes I'll slip up in a solo or riff or etc and accidentally will land using a 3 finger chord without my pinky. It feels weird when this happens - and thankfully it's not that common haha. Using the pinky instead of the ring finger on those chords makes it al lot easier to move from shape to shape. Like A (2245) to A7 (2243) or similar D (245x) to D7 (243x).
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

I always use my pinky to mute the fourth string in three-finger chords like 523x

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

When I got started on the mandolin in 1967 I never took chords from a book. I worked them out from their construction, finding voicings that made them connect smoothly. The first chord I found was the big chop G -- today I would much rather use 7-9-10-*, thereby avoiding the doubling of the g. The corresponding G7 form would be 7-9-8-*, no root. The choice of voicing will of ocurse also depend on the harmonic context, and mode of execution (strummed, chopped, stabbed, broken), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    P. 117, root on top major chords, p. 119 root on top minor chords.
    Dan, this is the same group of chords that was presented at the Fiddleheads workshop on moveable mandolin chords. I have been thinking about these lately as well, so thanks to pointing to this additional source of information. The sample chord progressions at the back of the chapter look like they will answer some questions for me.

I was using my pinky alot when I was playing my mandola regularly a little while back. Now it is getting lazy and could probably use a workout. "Mike Marshalls Finger Busters" has some good ones (I think that's a book you don't have yet )
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Glad to hear it, Sue. I was so jealous that you found that seminar and I didn’t. I’m glad that the information is readily available.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Wait ‘til you buy an octave.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Years and years ago using my left index finger suddenly became very painful. It lasted for a long time. To the point that i went about learning all the tunes I knew using the pinky and not using the index finger. I taped it up.

I became competent playing that way, feeling confident that if I wanted to mandolin, I had to get it this way.

Well the condition went away. I understand the medical reasons, and things could be a lot worse. I dodged a bullet. But for the purposes of this posting the whole ordeal was really good for my playing. While I quickly went back to my previous index finger using ways, my pinky became strong and as a result is deployed all the time.

I would not recommend this, but there are dumber ideas than binding your index finger and playing your tunes with the next three fingers.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Your pinky has to feel reeeealy good being included in the jam!!

(I don't know how anybody plays withOUT the pinky. It's like trying to walk on one leg...or...playing without your right hand...?!?)

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Your pinky couldn't be expecting to stay out of the job forever, could it? Just wait until you follow the call of the Octave Mandolin, and your pinky will thank you for preparing it in time.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

14. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Years and years ago using my left index finger suddenly became very painful. It lasted for a long time. To the point that i went about learning all the tunes I knew using the pinky and not using the index finger. I taped it up.

I became competent playing that way, feeling confident that if I wanted to mandolin, I had to get it this way.

Well the condition went away. I understand the medical reasons, and things could be a lot worse. I dodged a bullet. But for the purposes of this posting the whole ordeal was really good for my playing. While I quickly went back to my previous index finger using ways, my pinky became strong and as a result is deployed all the time.

I would not recommend this, but there are dumber ideas than binding your index finger and playing your tunes with the next three fingers.
    I've had very similar experiences, with various index finger injuries forcing me to use the other three for chords and melody. Besides improving dexterity and strength of the pinky, it's also helped me in breaking out of rote "muscle memory" patterns for many tunes and melodic ideas. Having to operate within the limitations of a middle-to-pinky reach has encouraged me to slide around and find new places to play familiar passages.
    Mitch Russell

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I attended a class with Mike Marshall a day or three after he had sliced off the tip of his index finger. I was amazed at the facility he had with the three "off" fingers. What a musician and player. I use my pinky much more than I used to knowing what he showed the class.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Your pinky has to feel reeeealy good being included in the jam!!

(I don't know how anybody plays withOUT the pinky. It's like trying to walk on one leg...or...playing without your right hand...?!?)

Billy
    My pinky works all the time and is strong, it came from a violin upbringing that torturous the pinky into compliance.
    I never use the pinky on any three fingered chord.
    I have a large chord vocabulary, and can play, 2, 3 and 4 finger chords…all my three finger chords are sans pinky.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

We all went through it...........

Some Grisman tunes like Cedar Hill are great pinky testers.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I've been playing guitar for over fifty years and mando for about five. I've always used my left pinky.

Always thought it was essential. But a few months ago I was watching an Eric Clapton video where he did one of his blazing solos, and I realized: He wasn't using his left pinky at all.

Grr, I said to myself. Then I thought of other artists who don't even have ten fingers and manage fine. It affirmed what I guess we all know: The music doesn't come from out hands. It comes from our heads and hearts.

So enjoy your new-found finger, and remember that there are more than one way to catch the sound you're chasing.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

21. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post: