Thread: Retailer: W & S 1920s- Any Info? Stromberg-Voisinet

Default Retailer: W & S 1920s- Any Info? Stromberg-Voisinet

I have just bought a 1920s Stromberg-Voisinet teardrop shaped mandolin with that label inside. I was wondering if anyone here knows the identity of this firm which I assume to be a retailer. I am not going to crow about this mandolin until it is in my hands but it was sold as the proverbial "wall hanger" but may be okay! Michael Wright in his book featured a 1944 Kay advertisement which stated that Kay had pioneered laminates since 1924- so I may find that this mandolin- despite plenty of scars is crack free! Anyway, it does have cracks on the board, which is par for the course but I have the product to fix those with ease. One photo suggests the geometry may be to my liking but I have bought it, so that's that and I can repent at my leisure, if need be!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (5).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	204285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	204286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	204287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (9).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	204288

Default Re: Retailer: W & S 1920s- Any Info? Stromberg-Voisinet

Mugwumps lists it as a Weymann trademark. Weymann & Son, 1864-1940.

That would make sense. Weymann is known as a banjo manufacturer and more (including the mandolute) but they were also a large retailer and sold many instruments that were built by others. Jim Garber has a Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin labeled Weymann.

Thankfully the family of the late Michael Holmes has kept that site alive.

http://www.mugwumps.com/AmerInstMkr.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mike, thank you for that info- I had not checked instrument makers as I assumed it must be a retailer label but as Weymann did sell from other makers, it seems very likely to be the most likely interpretation as I found nothing on searching retailers.

FWIW, I owned at one time a Weymann labeled 50's flattop guitar made by Kay.

I bought it because Jimmie Rodgers played a Weymann guitar. Unfortunately, mine was not from the "golden era." A somewhat plainly-appointed lackluster guitar, IMHO.

“Anyway, it does have cracks on the board, which is par for the course but I have the product to fix those with ease“
    Which is what?
    Thanks

Richard, I fixed the cracks in the board of my OS Tremolina mandolin with black Sugru mouldable glue and that has worked well. It might not be a fix I would use on an expensive instrument but then I would not be mending an expensive instrument! I also used it to fill missing areas of a black stained headstock overlay by the nut. It might be the case that matching black can be difficult but I feel it is better than leaving obvious damage and I am happy with the results I obtained. The OS Tremolina mandolin which I posted here had the cracks filled with something- it may have been putty but they showed badly and I removed that and used the Sugru instead. I have an old Waverly cloud tailpiece cover that is slightly distressed which should complement this old mandolin quite nicely!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (10).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	204294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (11).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	204295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (12).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	204296