Thread: What kind of tuners?

Default What kind of tuners?

Can anyone tell me what kind of tuners these are...they are on my Gibson Mandolin Store Custom F5 mandolin...thanks.
    Thanks for your support?

Default Re: What kind of tuners?

A picture of the headstock from the back would be helpful.

If they look like these they are Gibson Grovers, manufactured years ago for Gibson by Grover as a drop-in replacement for their previous Schaller tuners. I had them on my 2005 F5G until I switched them to Waverly's. It would appear they still have them in stock as they show up on new mandolins now and again. It would still be easier to verify that if you post a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS-Gibson-CustomF5-Tuners.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	204297  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I cannot figure out how to post a photo, but those are the same as mine...I am wondering where I might find some replacement ivoroid tuner buttons or would it be easier to just replace the tuners with something else? Thanks.
    Thanks for your support?

Quote Originally Posted by northfolk View Post
    I cannot figure out how to post a photo, but those are the same as mine...I am wondering where I might find some replacement ivoroid tuner buttons or would it be easier to just replace the tuners with something else? Thanks.
    That I can answer. You won't. They were a proprietary size unlike any of the other Grover tuners. The only buttons I ever saw were pearloid and Dave Harvey told me the gold tuners had real pearl buttons. I've never seen those. People are going to jump in with all sorts of answers but this has been discussed for years. If you lose a button you're better off contacting Dave Harvey than trying to go though Gibson customer service. I have provided replacement screws for a few folks and I own two sets of these tuners, an F set and a brand new A set. The only source for buttons has been Mr. Harvey.

Years ago I had a conversation with a person from Grover who pointed out that they only made these for a few years for Gibson and they didn't seem to have any desire to provide buttons or screws.

It would be easier to replace the tuners with something else. The good news is that your Grover's sell well. Here's the thread where I changed mine. It might show you something about the process.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber