Thread: Parking Lot Picker Mandolin Solos

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Parking Lot Picker Mandolin Solos

Does anyone have this? Is it decent?

I have the Parking Lot Picker songbook for mandolin and for guitar, and the Guitar Solo book looks nice. Each solo is notated in the table of contents as Carter Style, crosspicking, arpeggio, however it’s based. The Mandolin solos book isn’t notated, or rather very sparsely notated.

I was wondering if anyone here had it, and if they thought it was any good.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Parking Lot Picker Mandolin Solos

i have it and find it okay. I must admit that I am rather addicted to books as well as mandolins.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.C. Bryant For This Useful Post:

Somehow one gets to feeling like the information and skills in the next amazing book are going to proceed into one's brain and fingers by osmosis.
    Sadly, this doesn't seem to be true.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Somehow one gets to feeling like the information and skills in the next amazing book are going to proceed into one's brain and fingers by osmosis.
    Sadly, this doesn't seem to be true.
    I've said for ages that if we could improve as a player by buying things then we'd all be Ricky Scaggs. I am trying SO HARD not to buy myself another mandolin for Christmas, and it's looking like I'm going to lose that battle.

Right now I have a stack of mandolin methods & songbooks on the table next to me that is literally over a foot high, and the one that I have gotten the most out of, and am still using regularly, is the first one that I ever bought, Mandolin From Scratch by Bruce Emory (highly recommended, as are the rest of Bruce's guitar, bass, mandolin, ukulele, and music theory books).

And after buying nearly every other mandolin method on Amazon, the one that I have benefited from second most is another one of Bruce's books that I have only recently purchased, Mandolin Christmas Carols ('tis the season, after all).
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

7. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post: