Thread: Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

Default Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

One of my students, Zach Dease, and I received a generous Folklife grant from the North Carolina Arts Council to build a matched quartet of our choice from all North Carolina woods. This is my second matched quartet; a manner of building that I enjoy and has me thinking much deeper into how all the instruments work together as a cohesive unit. Most of my builds are from the last of the Lorax trees that were cut 50-100+ years ago and were coveted by several other luthiers before I purchased them from their widows. I've been wanting to get away from that and this local build was a great opportunity.

After a lot of deliberation, we've settled on a double bass, flattop baritone guitar, 16" L5 guitar, and an F5 mandolin. A slightly non-traditional combination that represents the spectrum of lutherie and musical possibilities that we wanted to build. An octave mandolin on the 16" L5 body was a strong contender, but in the end the L5 guitar won out. I couldn't imagine a North Carolina grouping without and F5, even though the fiddle was considered. In my double bass heavy world, nothing but a big double bass is even an option....no fretted small bodied mandobasses or long scale hurdy gurdy or mandocellos or any other close but no cigar substitutes. Those may work for some folks, but I play at least 75 gigs a year on the upright bass to a room full of rockin' grindin' dancin' beautiful fit sweaty hipsters run through a giant PA system and my big bass OWNS the room.

Here is a little sneak preview of the L5 fingerboard from local persimmon (Diospyros Virginiana). It is from the same log as the binding and rest of the fittings.

'Shoutout to the North Carolina Arts Council for all of their support and always to the Hampton Brothers for the finest tonewoods in the nation from the coolest guys in the business, many sourced locally right down the road from me.

More to come.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carolina quartet persimmon fingerboard.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	705.5 KB 
ID:	204307  
    Last edited by j. condino; Nov-19-2022 at 2:10am.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Carolina Quartet Persimmon fittings

Here are couple of other ideas from the same log, the bass top, and the F5 top that I torrified here in the shop.

Name:	DSCN8360.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	204308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Condino giant 30 inch Gamba.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	704.9 KB 
ID:	204309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	675.4 KB 
ID:	204310  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	848.0 KB 
ID:	204311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	837.6 KB 
ID:	204312  
    www.condino.com

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

A couple more of the F5 parts and one of Zach routing the binding channel for the L5.

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	559.9 KB 
ID:	204313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	545.1 KB 
ID:	204314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	204315  

www.condino.com

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Persimmon binding on the L5:

Name:	persimmon L5 binding.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	204316  
    www.condino.com

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

What's the blue strip in the binding? Gorgeous work, beautiful woods. What a cool project!
    Clark Beavans

10. The following members say thank you to tree for this post:

I have heard that persimmon is a close relative to ebony and was/is sought after by the makers of golf clubs. It is a beautiful wood and work! thank you

Look forward to seeing all this come together. Interesting touch on the F5 lower point.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    One of my students, Zach Dease, and I received a generous Folklife grant from the North Carolina Arts Council to build a matched quartet of our choice from all North Carolina woods. This is my second matched quartet; a manner of building that I enjoy and has me thinking much deeper into how all the instruments work together as a cohesive unit. Most of my builds are from the last of the Lorax trees that were cut 50-100+ years ago and were coveted by several other luthiers before I purchased them from their widows. I've been wanting to get away from that and this local build was a great opportunity.

After a lot of deliberation, we've settled on a double bass, flattop baritone guitar, 16" L5 guitar, and an F5 mandolin. A slightly non-traditional combination that represents the spectrum of lutherie and musical possibilities that we wanted to build. An octave mandolin on the 16" L5 body was a strong contender, but in the end the L5 guitar won out. I couldn't imagine a North Carolina grouping without and F5, even though the fiddle was considered. In my double bass heavy world, nothing but a big double bass is even an option....no fretted small bodied mandobasses or long scale hurdy gurdy or mandocellos or any other close but no cigar substitutes. Those may work for some folks, but I play at least 75 gigs a year on the upright bass to a room full of rockin' grindin' dancin' beautiful fit sweaty hipsters run through a giant PA system and my big bass OWNS the room.

Here is a little sneak preview of the L5 fingerboard from local persimmon (Diospyros Virginiana). It is from the same log as the binding and rest of the fittings.

'Shoutout to the North Carolina Arts Council for all of their support and always to the Hampton Brothers for the finest tonewoods in the nation from the coolest guys in the business, many sourced locally right down the road from me.

More to come.....
    James, based on your description of your 75 gigs a year, I'm presuming you play in a contradance band. Which band are you in? When I'm up there visiting next summer I'd love to dance to your band. -BB

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    What's the blue strip in the binding? Gorgeous work, beautiful woods.....

Luthier's tears....

'Never played in a contra dance band. I usually play with the heavy jazz guys, the Django heads, this week with The Dirty French Broads at the Grey Eagle, and once or twice a year Tree and I get together for a beautiful weekend jam up in the Great Smokies in the Joyce Kilmer forest!
    www.condino.com

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

I have heard that persimmon is a close relative to ebony
    It is in the same genus (Diospyros). Persimmon lumber is mostly composed of pale sapwood, but occasionally has some black that is essentially "American ebony".
    John

17. The following members say thank you to John Arnold for this post:

Hey James: are you making the standard instruments or your own wonderfully creative designs?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hey James: are you making the standard instruments or your own wonderfully creative designs?
    Ha! Have you ever known me to make copies of the same old same old baby $#!t brown 10,000,000 already done instruments?

The North Carolina Arts council is very encouraging of individual creativity. This a joint project with Zach and I, so we will combine ideas.

In the past the council would a write blank check to qualifying artists who were accepted into the program, essentially to keep doing what you were doing. This year they changed the format. An upcoming artist and a seasoned mentor applied as a pair and the grant is split. Zach and I have been working together for about five years and built a number of instruments together. The regional tonewoods conversation was something we had been thinking about for a long time. The cost and scope of a full quartet would be very high if commissioned. The Folklife grant basically underwrote the materials and expenses and provided an opportunity for us to continue working together. Just materials alone for a double bass tend to get up to around the $3-4000 range, and that is if everything goes well. I could make 20 nice mandolins from one bass top!

The grant covered most of the materials, but materials alone were not enough. After parting with my Yates Y30 a couple of years back, I realized I needed a larger bandsaw to continue, so the rest went into a 30" wheel 1951 Oliver 217. It took a while to get it up to speed, but oooooohhhhhhh is it running nice now. As a mandolin builder, smaller saws work fine. As a double bass builder, each half of a top is about 17" wide. I also do a lot of complicated laminate and veneer work these days, so it is a necessity for making my own. Everyone that visits knows that I basically have a vintage tool museum for a workshop.

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	536.6 KB 
ID:	204342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	204343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRTU6172.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	568.9 KB 
ID:	204344  

Last edited by j. condino; Nov-20-2022 at 11:28pm.
    www.condino.com

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

James, what an incredible project! Great to hear about the L-5 in the mix. I especially love the use of persimmon, which as a true “American” ebony has always fascinated me. It has been used historically on shoe lasts, and as the striking surface on wooden golf clubs. The dark-streaked pieces are beautiful.

James, great project and the wood choice is sweet. Have you used persimmon in the past?
    Bob Schmidt

Excellent project and workmanship! Congratulations on receiving the grant. I love persimmon and would love to hear the final results. I had an old, large persimmon tree fall down in my yard about 20 years ago (missed the house and landed perfectly on a sidewalk). I cut up some of the base section of the trunk and found it to be a beautiful black striped dark wood that I used for a number of bridges and other small repair pieces. Unfortunately, by the time I was able to get someone to look at it to saw it up (about 1 year) the wood in the log had rotted. Too bad... there was a lot of wood there!

'Been a busy year and we have not made any recent updates. The L5 is finished. Here is a quick look at the fanned fret fingerboard for the baritone guitar. I'll get more photos of the F5 up this week.

I have a bunch of leftover persimmon from this log if anyone is interested; call the shop.

Name:	Carolina Quartet baritone fingerboard.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	211446  
    www.condino.com

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Back to a bit of mandolin nerdiness. Here are a few in progress photos of the F5, uncleaned burn marks and all. It is one of my internal open scroll models. I did a big workshop at the Guild of American Luthier's conference on laminate ribs and have been making a ton of them for all of the instruments (mandolin, guitars, and double basses); I built up this one as part of the workshop. A detailed article will be out later this year.

North Carolina hard maple ribs, red spruce linings, and torrified mulberry blocks.

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	712.9 KB 
ID:	211458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2752.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	211457  
    Last edited by j. condino; Jan-03-2024 at 2:06am.
    www.condino.com

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

As a side note, I always save all of the offcuts until the build is finished; you never know what is waiting to destroy all the hard work. Torrified spruce vs hungry router bit: a bit of creative spliced in section of the offcuts plus some hot hide glue saved the day again!

Name:	IMG_2761.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	491.1 KB 
ID:	211459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2771.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	479.7 KB 
ID:	211460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2787.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	568.4 KB 
ID:	211461  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	678.1 KB 
ID:	211462  
    www.condino.com

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

I've shown this around a lot of places, but I don't think it has been posted here.

This is my giant ball vise for carving arched plates. It has several different fittings so I use it for everything from small mandolins, all the way up to the big double basses. I always found that carving on a flat plane produced an ergonomically challenged plate and sometimes gave me hand issues. Articulating this one to any angle I need is a game changer.

I made the cups on my big 1929 Oliver patternmaker's lathe; the rest is a $5 bowling ball and the stand was $45 scrap metal on craigslist (it weighs approx. 200lbs!).

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	862.2 KB 
ID:	211463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	644.0 KB 
ID:	211464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2775.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	783.3 KB 
ID:	211465  

www.condino.com

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Exceptional work as always James! Thanks for sharing!

It's a cool idea - a bowling ball vise - but the sunburst finish is a nice touch! I would imagine that making it the ideal height for you was key.
    Clark Beavans