Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd Mandolin. Ellis? Gibson? Clark? Weber?

Default Re: 2nd Mandolin. Ellis? Gibson? Clark? Weber?

Can any Northfield Big Mon owners or periodic players comment on the sound of these? I keep reading that they sound fatter in the bass but to my ear the YouTube clips sound like that might be true compared to a standard size Northfield but their mandos all sound to me a bit open and well balanced in the EQ. Online clips are challenging so I’m hoping for feedback. I like the idea of the wide nut version that I see for just shy of $5200 (new) with an Adirondack top and would certainly look at used as well.

Also shopping for a Weber Diamondback (used). I reached out to Pomeroy twice but didn’t receive a response. I was thinking they might not be taking new orders or that response times are slow this time of year, which is a bummer. Also been “trolling” the internet for Girouard and Kimble that look attractive. Let’s see what pops up.

Carter’s has an Ellis two point oval hole for sale that I would buy in a heartbeat if I had any clue that my wife wouldn’t kill me. I might anyway. It’s listed in the classifieds. As far as I’m concerned, it’s absolute perfection. I can hear it without having ever touched it. Please don’t buy it..

In answer to the OP's original question and title of this thread: Yes. All the makes & models that have been suggested would be great additions to the Mando-clan. I would take time, play ALOT of instruments and the right one will fall into your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Carter’s has an Ellis two point oval hole for sale that I would buy in a heartbeat if I had any clue that my wife wouldn’t kill me. I might anyway. It’s listed in the classifieds. As far as I’m concerned, it’s absolute perfection. I can hear it without having ever touched it. Please don’t buy it..
    This is the same issue I’m having with Ellis and why I’m probably still shopping for alternatives. Because I really want an Ellis and really can’t afford one

I’m sort of hoping that if I keep shopping long enough that the money fairy will drop an extra $12k in my bank account somehow and make their finest F5 doable for me, even though that will likely never happen unless a rich relative that I don’t have dies and leaves me a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Sothoth View Post
    This is the same issue I’m having with Ellis and why I’m probably still shopping for alternatives. Because I really want an Ellis and really can’t afford one

I’m sort of hoping that if I keep shopping long enough that the money fairy will drop an extra $12k in my bank account somehow and make their finest F5 doable for me, even though that will likely never happen unless a rich relative that I don’t have dies and leaves me a fortune.
    You're in luck, this one is only $9K.

I can afford it, but have to factor in the instruments i already own. I seriously have too many. If only mandolin were my only or at least main instrument!

But there are relative bargains out there. So many builders whose names might not be so well known are making great instruments now. I recently bought an A5 from Jim Hinde that is just amazing. I have no need of an Gibson-voiced mandolin, ever.

Playing on the porch

I hope the Money Fairy visits you soon. I, too, love Ellis mandolins. I have mine outfitted with Thomastik Infeld M154 strings and find the resulting output glorious. Good luck with whatever instrument sings for you and finds its new home. Cheers!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

I think playing as many brand of mandolins as one can find is the key to finding one you like. I owned an Ellis, and it was really nice, but moved it along earlier this year. I also sold my Big Mon.

While this might be out of your range, Larry Smart makes a really fine mandolin, around $7k. I played one yesterday at The Music Emporium. His necks have quite a girth to them, and I wrinkled my nose as Ian handed it to me, but a few seconds of playing and the size of the neck became irrelevant. The mandolin filled the entire room with sound.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I think playing as many brand of mandolins as one can find is the key to finding one you like. I owned an Ellis, and it was really nice, but moved it along earlier this year. I also sold my Big Mon.

While this might be out of your range, Larry Smart makes a really fine mandolin, around $7k. I played one yesterday at The Music Emporium. His necks have quite a girth to them, and I wrinkled my nose as Ian handed it to me, but a few seconds of playing and the size of the neck became irrelevant. The mandolin filled the entire room with sound.
    Thanks for this I’ll check them out. $7k isn’t out of range.

"your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Though not an oval hole these Campanellas have a tone of their own, sweet but dry they may be described.I love mine—thanks to Mary’s expert advice.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Though not an oval hole these Campanellas have a tone of their own, sweet but dry they may be described.I love mine—thanks to Mary’s expert advice.
    I played that Due when it was new. It’s actually from the same batch as my first A5. Will Patton was enamored with it. Great mandolin. Too bad I already have one.

I bought my Big Mon a year ago (engleman top), and still find myself thrilled with the rich full sound it has. Definitely more bass response, and a real balanced tone, with plenty of punch. I have a 1925 A2-Z, and a Rigel A+ Deluxe. I’ve had the Gibson since 1985, and the Rigel since 2002. The Rigel was my main gig mando, from when I bought it, until I got the Big Mon (20 years). I will never part with the A2-Z, but might be letting the Rigel find a new home, since I am just not playing it much at all now. The only mod I have made on the Big Mon, is to install a JJB pickup.

I was in Nashville in October, and visited more than a few music stores. I played quite a few high-end mandos, and found nothing that would have made me want any of them over the Northfield, money aside.

Quote Originally Posted by snakehead_a2z View Post
    I bought my Big Mon a year ago (engleman top), and still find myself thrilled with the rich full sound it has. Definitely more bass response, and a real balanced tone, with plenty of punch. I have a 1925 A2-Z, and a Rigel A+ Deluxe. I’ve had the Gibson since 1985, and the Rigel since 2002. The Rigel was my main gig mando, from when I bought it, until I got the Big Mon (20 years). I will never part with the A2-Z, but might be letting the Rigel find a new home, since I am just not playing it much at all now. The only mod I have made on the Big Mon, is to install a JJB pickup.

I was in Nashville in October, and visited more than a few music stores. I played quite a few high-end mandos, and found nothing that would have made me want any of them over the Northfield, money aside.
    Yeah people who like them seem to REALLY like them. Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

That’s a really nice color and texture, too!

Grab it while you can. Not sure when you will see another.

Blog Entries

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    There are so many good choices, at various price points. Instead of looking for a particular mandolin make or model, I would take the luxury of waiting for the mandolin to find me.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: