Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Mandolin. Ellis? Gibson? Clark? Weber?

Default 2nd Mandolin. Ellis? Gibson? Clark? Weber?

All,

I have a Collings MF with f-holes and really love it. Been playing it for a few years and really appreciate the fit and finish and the sound. I’ve been planning to get an oval hole for some time and want something that’s different from my Collings. I’m not into super bright sounding instruments, the Collings is perhaps as bright as I’m comfortable going. I did start with an Eastman 6xx series oval hole F body and it was great until my ear developed and the bright tone was too much for me.

I’d like to buy a new or used (but recent) build. I have an OM that Austin Clark made for me and it’s amazing and probably my first choice for a second Mandolin but I’d really like some suggestions. I realize there’s a big price range for the brands mentioned but my assumption is that I’ll save for a bit and I’m also parting with a few guitars I don’t play anymore in addition to some cash I’ve been stashing for a few years

I’m leaning slightly towards a two point body or another F body but probably not an A.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2nd Mandolin. Ellis? Gibson? Clark? Weber?

I am very partial to Webers, especially those with Bruce Weber's signature on the label. The sound will be warmer than your Collings, which will make a good complement to the Collings sparkle.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Teacher, repair person

You can pretty much knock Gibson off your list unless you decide to buy an antique one. Except for a short run of flat top Army-Navy reissues and a very small number of custom order modern instruments, they have not built any good oval hole instruments since WWII. They did build some two point oval hole A-5's in the 1960's, but they are not strong instruments.

It appears that right now the only oval hole model that Ellis lists is an "A-4 Special."

The best oval hole carved mandolins that I have encountered were either built by small shop builders, the occasional better grade Weber, or the old pre-war Gibson and Lyon & Healy instruments.

Been some nice two point Kimbles in the classifieds here recently, NFI on my part, just admiring them from afar!

**Oops, just noticed that it's an oval hole you're looking for and the Kimbles I saw were all f-hole models, never mind!

For an oval hole I'd certainly throw Girouard mandolins into the hat for consideration!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Dry and woody

https://themusicemporium.com/product...e-a5-used-2017

But an F hole. I’m not sure there are a lot of Ellis oval hole A’s around. An old snakehead might be what you are looking for, but I’m noticing that oval holes seem to pretty scarce right now, in terms of modern makers.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

May I suggest you check out Pomeroy. There are many sound samples on his site.
    Cary Fagan

I have a BRW two-point oval that sounds just like what you’re looking for.
    My daily driver right now is a Morris oval, but it’s an A style. I love the sound of it. I saw him building a two-point last time I visited.

I believe that most modern oval holes are hybrids: longer neck (not scale) and often x-braced. When I was looking for a modern oval hole I wanted a modernized Gibson sound with transverse bracing and shorter neck. I found what I wanted in my Brentrup A4C. Very different in tone from my f-hole mandolins. Hans is no longer building and there are few of those around for sale but I think there are a few builders out there who do build that configuration. In any case that would give you a very different tone from your Collings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I recently got a Pomeroy 2 point made by Don Paine in Colorado. It has more heart than Weber Vintage F which is their top of the line oval hole. I love the sound and playabiltiy of this mandolin. I got it after playing one of his oval hole A's in a side by side comparison with my Weber.

Here’s a second for Pomeroy. Don makes an oval hole A model, same dimension, etc, as old Gibson As, but with his proprietary X-bracing. I have a mandolin and a matching mandola, both favorites!

I’ll be finishing a round hole A soon and sending it off to TME if a longer scale, 14.37,” and larger body, 11.5,” is something you want to explore. Please delete this and correct me if this kind of self-promotion isn’t allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Toole View Post
    I’ll be finishing a round hole A soon and sending it off to TME if a longer scale, 14.37,” and larger body, 11.5,” is something you want to explore. Please delete this and correct me if this kind of self-promotion isn’t allowed.
    Sorry if I’m ignorant but can you post a web link so I can see the home page of the mandolins you make?

Or you could get another Collings...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/195542#195542

NFI
    Last edited by Charles E.; Nov-21-2022 at 4:07pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    You can pretty much knock Gibson off your list unless you decide to buy an antique one. Except for a short run of flat top Army-Navy reissues and a very small number of custom order modern instruments, they have not built any good oval hole instruments since WWII. They did build some two point oval hole A-5's in the 1960's, but they are not strong instruments.

It appears that right now the only oval hole model that Ellis lists is an "A-4 Special."

The best oval hole carved mandolins that I have encountered were either built by small shop builders, the occasional better grade Weber, or the old pre-war Gibson and Lyon & Healy instruments.
    Thanks for all this info. I didn’t look that carefully at the oval hole offerings. TBH I was maybe overstating my preference for the oval and mostly interested in a tonal difference. I realize the oval is one way to achieve that but I have also seen makers with oval a f variants that sound quite similar. So I’m not married to an oval hole. I pretty much believe in picking up and falling in love with an instrument. In this day/age of online sales it’s hard so we are reduced to YouTube, which isn’t so good for assessing tone even when doing a side by side. That said, it’s better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buesseler View Post
    Here’s a second for Pomeroy. Don makes an oval hole A model, same dimension, etc, as old Gibson As, but with his proprietary X-bracing. I have a mandolin and a matching mandola, both favorites!
    I’ll check them out! Several of you have recommended them and I’ve looked at their stuff (visually) but I’ll find some sound clips.

NDO, Just sent you a PM.
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

I'm very happy with my Girouard A4. Max and Lauri are great to work with.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    I’ll second that!
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Sothoth View Post
    Sorry if I’m ignorant but can you post a web link so I can see the home page of the mandolins you make?
    I can vouch for Patrick, and his work can be seen here:

https://www.instagram.com/toolestudios/

I bought the first set, octave and mandolin, that became available last year. A friend of mine became enamored with the mandolin and bought the next mandolin that became available. You can hear that one here:

https://youtu.be/rMgsPwwViXk

He is listed in the Builders Database here on the Cafe also.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    I’ll second that! I would also keep Weber on the short list.
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Toole View Post
    Took a look at your stuff on IG. Looks beautiful!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221203-113948.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	204613

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

You already have a good Collings. I'd want something utterly different. If I had the dough-ray-me — and it sounds like you do — National is making a nice reso these days. And I'd love an old Harmony batwing, a la Yank Rachell. What a vibe!

Or I'd scandalize some of my friends and delight others via the electric solid-boy route. And there's always breaking out of the carved-wood/f-hole scene with a good flattop. Those things are sorely underappreciated and need a few good evangelists.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    You already have a good Collings. I'd want something utterly different. If I had the dough-ray-me — and it sounds like you do — National is making a nice reso these days. And I'd love an old Harmony batwing, a la Yank Rachell. What a vibe!

Or I'd scandalize some of my friends and delight others via the electric solid-boy route. And there's always breaking out of the carved-wood/f-hole scene with a good flattop. Those things are sorely underappreciated and need a few good evangelists.
    That Batwing looks crazy!! Never heard of that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by seankeegan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221203-113948.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	204613

Those Kimbles are supposed to be quite good. I’ll check prices….