Thread: Five Cloud Tailpieces!

Default Five Cloud Tailpieces!

One is Gibson branded which may be a DIY effort while there are other less sought after cheapo tailpieces. I think it is a shame they are in one lot but maybe if there are people looking for one, and I know one member might be, then somebody buying them and selling them on at the usual price of circa $45 or so might be an option!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37444245473...4AAOSwZJ9jth9O

Default Re: Five Cloud Tailpieces!

What makes you think the Gibson tailpiece is DIY?

That's exactly what the tailpiece on a 1954 Gibson EM200 looks like. They may have used that tailpiece cover on other mandolins around that time. Shortly thereafter they quit using clouds and went back to the 1911 design.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

3. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Marginally related: The zig-zag engraving on the Gibson is similar to that on a few scratch plates that I have on old bowl backs, leading me to believe that there is, or was a mechanical attachment for doing this. I have a reasonably antique New Hermes pantographic engraver and it is almost possible that the zig-zag could be built into the template, alternatively. Anyone know how it was done?

"What makes you think the Gibson tailpiece is DIY?"

I was not sure and wondered about the missing dot over the i and I had not seen a gold-plated cloud before. I have seen the regular tailpiece covers as used on the F series mandolins that were gold-plated that had the dot over the i but they were a little more refined looking in my opinion. I was wondering about which Gibson mandolins might have had a gold cloud and did not think of the EM200 so it's the genuine article after all.

Here is an example of the other type. It is clearly similar it just looks a bit more "together" to my eye and is probably a few years later than the cloud and had be wondering about the cloud version's provenance although gold-plated tailpiece covers cannot be created at home- not in my home, for sure but maybe some clever souls can do this sort of thing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	879.3 KB 
ID:	205372