Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know what this is? It keeps staring at me!

Default Re: Know what this is? It keeps staring at me!

I think it would be cool if a modern company (Eastman?) would produce a Shutt style design mandolin. It should include the cool pickguard.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I knew you were kidding, Mike. I'm not a giant fan of winter anymore, but the heat and humidity in Florida! My DH and I went to St. Augustine a few years back in November, and it was too hot to sit on the beach. And we went to Clearwater one time in August, and everytime you stepped out the door, it was like walking into a wall of humidity
    The story goes, a Floridian was working the Alaskan pipeline and he froze to death. Before dying he made his friends promise to cremate him. They dragged the dead body all over the tundra and finally found a house with a big enough furnace, so they put the dead guy in that furnace. Mission accomplished, but then they heard this clanking noise coming from inside that furnace. So, they looked inside that furnace and, low and behold, there I am, brought back to life! ...And I yelled, shut that furnace door, your letting my heat out.

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    I think it would be cool if a modern company (Eastman?) would produce a Shutt style design mandolin. It should include the cool pickguard.
    But then it would be made in China and not of old growth woods. Today, Post Office delivered a Chinese 1966 reissue Silverburst Epiphone SG PRO. It was nothing like my Original (Gibson) the whole thing was thinner and it had no soul. It didn't even come close. It's going back.

3. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

It went for $349- it was subject to forty plus bids from 13 bidders!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    The story goes, a Floridian was working the Alaskan pipeline and he froze to death. Before dying he made his friends promise to cremate him. They dragged the dead body all over the tundra and finally found a house with a big enough furnace, so they put the dead guy in that furnace. Mission accomplished, but then they heard this clanking noise coming from inside that furnace. So, they looked inside that furnace and, low and behold, there I am, brought back to life! ...And I yelled, shut that furnace door, your letting my heat out.

But then it would be made in China and not of old growth woods. Today, Post Office delivered a Chinese 1966 reissue Silverburst Epiphone SG PRO. It was nothing like my Original (Gibson) the whole thing was thinner and it had no soul. It didn't even come close. It's going back.
    That’s an amateur take on Robert Service’s poem, ‘The cremation of Sam McGee’ !
    This winter in NE though, is going to be a challenge, with the electric trade association demanding a 100% increase and oil hovering at ‘unaffordable plus’. Was planning to avoid the considerable labor of the woodstove, but may have to deal with it, lacking sufficient large dogs to keep me warm.

7. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    That’s an amateur take on Robert Service’s poem, ‘The cremation of Sam McGee’ !
    I Googled that six different ways to Sunday, not even a hint. So, I did what any red blooded amateur would do, I summoned The Great Lobachevsky and plagiarized! Knowing somebody would come up with it. Richard500, Did you look it up or remember all that? Haven't thought about that since grade school (1969 maybe).
    https://youtu.be/wGhFNYll_mU The Cremation of Sam McGee - Read By Johnny Cash. Here's credits for "Lobachevsky" by Tom Lehrer, before I get in any more trouble. https://youtu.be/IL4vWJbwmqM

This winter in NE though, is going to be a challenge, with the electric trade association demanding a 100% increase and oil hovering at ‘unaffordable plus’. Was planning to avoid the considerable labor of the woodstove, but may have to deal with it, lacking sufficient large dogs to keep me warm.
    If only I could figure a cheap way to transport all the downed trees / wood from Hurricane Ian that is piled up around here.

For the first time pretty much ever, I'm glad to have propane as a backup to my woodstove
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    And likely the ten highest bidders were reading this thread.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    For the first time pretty much ever, I'm glad to have propane as a backup to my woodstove
    I am still mostly wood, with an electric heater if I have to be gone. Not sure how many more years I have left cutting wood, and hate to have to deal with the heat from anything else, just not the same.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    And likely the ten highest bidders were reading this thread.
    Should I have never started this thread? Damned if I do, damned if I don't. No regrets.

Speaking of The Damned... https://youtu.be/jgqP0ez4qAM

Betcha I'm not the only one with a search of keywords for: HARMONY, SHUTT, VIOL and Supertone MANDOLIN.

The storyteller makes no choice. Soon you will not hear his voice. His job is to shed light. And not to master. —Robert Hunter

AH! The Great Nikolai Ivanovich.
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

16. The following members say thank you to Rich Benson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Benson View Post
    AH! The Great Nikolai Ivanovich.
    Where do you think Robert Service got his story from! Well, no, it wasn't Lobachevsky, but quite often, these tall tails circulated until someone who could spell, wrote them down and took credit for them. Case in point: John Lomax took cowriting credit for Lead Belly's songs. However, even some of Leadbelly's songs were old traditional songs, that he took credit for.

I will always do a cheesy job of Plagiarizing someone else's work to get a chuckle. If you don't like it, you can always sue me.
    My attorneys are http://www.dewey-cheatham-howe.com/staff.html

Your lawyers’ offices in Harvard Square became more of a tourist attraction than the other hundred or so cultural and historic places in the immediate vicinity. In the early ‘80s, I actually knew a few people whose cars were routinely serviced by the brothers, but had never heard of a radio show!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	838E578F-60FF-4B83-BB9B-DA8C18C9F435.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	204585

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

That's what I call a true old school auction -- $19.99 starting bid and $17 bucks shipping -- the bidders determined the market value!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Your lawyers’ offices in Harvard Square became more of a tourist attraction than the other hundred or so cultural and historic places in the immediate vicinity. In the early ‘80s, I actually knew a few people whose cars were routinely serviced by the brothers, but had never heard of a radio show!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	838E578F-60FF-4B83-BB9B-DA8C18C9F435.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	204585
    Ahhh yes, the boys at Car Talk on National Public Radio. I have always wondered who turned off there color T.V. (remember black & white T.V.? pre-1964) to listened to talk radio!?!? Somebody might have, though having a pulse was not mandatory.
    When did Car Talk Air on NPR?
    In January 1987, then host Susan Stamberg asked Tom and Ray Magliozzi to be weekly contributors to NPR's Weekend Edition and on October 31, 1987, Car Talk premiered as a national program, presented by NPR.
    Is Car Talk on NPR anymore?
    On June 11, 2021, it was announced that radio distribution of Car Talk would officially end on October 1, 2021, and that NPR would begin distribution of a twice-weekly podcast that will be 35–40 minutes in length and include early versions of every show, in sequential order. https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510208/car-talk

Over the past century and more, Dewey Cheatham & Howe have represented many celebrities. Our strongest connection is, of course, with Groucho Marx. We owe him our eternal gratitude for frequently promoting our firm name. We feel the same about the boys at Car Talk, a program on National Public Radio (well, it was).

23. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Here is a much cleaner version but still may need repairs.
    Mentioned earlier in this thread, these had no top bracing... how is that not a potential problem?
    www.ebay.com/itm/314302085380?

Gotta love that pickguard.

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    Here is a much cleaner version but still may need repairs.
    Mentioned earlier in this thread, these had no top bracing... how is that not a potential problem?
    www.ebay.com/itm/314302085380?

Gotta love that pickguard.
    Yup, the deep cuts into the bridge to lower the action indicates neck rotation, but also says the top isn’t sinking. At a guess, the very high positioning of the f-holes means the arch of the top is stronger near the bridge - at a guess!
    Having to do something internal for a repair without pulling the thing apart is easier on an oval hole - especially dealing with a moving neck, but it might not be necessary, just a bunch of crack fills and maybe finish touch up.
    Another guess about lively bidding: some experts might think they’ve spotted the rare Shutt-built instruments, which would be collectible, although all of them are supposed to sound pretty good. The one-piece bridge is a clue that it’s certainly not a late Harmony.
    I do like the shape….but.

26. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Then there is this mandolin. It looks as thought it has a replacement neck but possibly the original fingerboard with no nut. The one tuner unit is very old and does not fit. I don't think this modification was completed and played.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/38533039786...33a6%7Ciid%3A1

28. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post: