Thread: Martin Style 20 serial number?

Default Martin Style 20 serial number?

Merry Christmas! My present arrived visa UPS yesterday in the midst of the frigid temps now in the Eastern US. I left the package to acclimatize in my dining room overnight (aren't I the bestest little boy?!). Tore into it this morning and am thrilled to see that the mandolin is as beautiful as the pictures in the Ebay listing. I expect it will sound as sweet as the one I sampled last year at a gathering, but I'm waiting a bit longer before I tune it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3067 copy.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	204990

My question: Having looked on the MC for info about where to find the serial number, the best info I could find is that it is either on the neck block or the "back strip" and should be visible through the oval hole. I cannot see a number on mine (nor a "back strip"). I do see the Martin logo burned/stamped (?) on the inside and on the rear of the peghead ... but no number. And no paper label. Do I need a dentist's mirror to search within?

Thanks for your help!

2. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Martin Style 20 serial number?

Normally, the number is on the neck block or on the back strip [if it has one]. A light and a mirror would be helpful.

However, I worked on one of these a while back that had no visible serial number anywhere.
    There were some faint marks on the neck block, but it was not possible to tell whether they were traces of a number or just grain and sanding marks in the wood. Or maybe light pencil marks. No clearly stamped number, though.

Nice mandolin. Every style 20 I've played was a very likeable instrument.
    Last edited by rcc56; Dec-25-2022 at 1:48pm.

Very jealous!!

As rcc56 says, shine a light on the neck block. The SN should be on it. I had one from '31 and it was there.

Congratulations, Joe. It looks very nice. I assume by now you tuned it up. Hope does it sound? Is there some consensus what strings sound best for these? Thomastiks? Dogal Calace? PB strings? Other? I think these still have the shorter ~13” scale? Correct?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Joe,

Congrats!

My Model 20 serial number is on the neck block, easily visible through the soundhole.

Here is a lousy photo and a couple of pages from the Martin technical book. Most were made in the introductory year of 1929.

I’ve only tried EJ73 PB strings and with the 13” violin-length scale they work just fine.

It is a very sweet sounding instrument, great for small ensembles.

Mark

Name:	0EA8BC74-5B74-444F-8972-97F780CCD793.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	454.8 KB 
ID:	205007

Name:	2F45B192-3B12-4F55-8B80-F431790AF9D7.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	911.9 KB 
ID:	205008

Name:	3488E2EA-D104-42BC-A106-F04CDFF2B489.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	860.1 KB 
ID:	205009
    Mark Lynch

8. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

The instrument is now in the hands of my luthier who searched within and found no serial number.

Jim, yes, 30-inch scale. The strings on it are light D'Addario nickel bronze, 10-38. They sound terrific and I'll leave them until it's time for a change and then I'll try, as suggested by Mark Lynch above and by my luthier, PB strings.

The seam at the top of the back needs a bit of glue, otherwise I'm good to go!

[edit] Oh, yes, and to address another question from Mark (off-list): The tuners are 4 on a plate tuners with the tuning knob above the string post, work like new, and engraved to boot!

I'm a lucky Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Jim, yes, 30-inch scale. The strings on it are light D'Addario nickel bronze, 10-38. They sound terrific and I'll leave them until it's time for a change and then I'll try, as suggested by Mark Lynch above and by my luthier, PB strings.
    A typo, I assume you meant 13-inch scale. I will be curious what you think with the PB’s.

I will also suggest, especially for the more classical/Italian sound to possibly try one of the Dogal Calace sets, maybe the more mediums not the dolce. Just a suggestion.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1