Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell me why not: Carbon fiber bracing.

Question Re: Tell me why not: Carbon fiber bracing.

Ovation used a spruce-carbon laminated top..flat not arched...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Tell me why not: Carbon fiber bracing.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    Yes. The idea is to make the braces stiffer so I can make the braces smaller and also can make the top a bit thinner as well. Carbon fiber gets you into another dimension as far as stiffness to weight ratio is concerned, way higher than any wood. The end result is a top that is lighter, and that will make a louder and more responsive mandolin.
    Hi Peter - thanks for sharing. Is the approach you have outlined here the approach you have taken with the Classical Flattop Specials listed for sale on your website? Can you tell me if you put much of a radius in the soundboard (and back)? Or does the extra stiffness of the carbon fibre allow you to maintain a truly flat soundboard?

Mandolin & Mandola maker

The soundboards and backs have an induced arch of 15ft diameter. The arch is there mostly to provide some degree of safety against problems with changes in humidity, but does help the soundboard resist the downwards force of the bridge. When humidity is low the arch will flatten, and reverse when humidity is high. No arch and the wood would be under stress and is likely to split in low humidity. No, the classical flattop specials on my web site are all X braced but the flattop mandola #297 and Pancake mandolin #299 are fan braced. The new fan brace classical flattop has not been offered for sale yet, i want to make another one so I can be sure it is not a fluke, but I am very confident it is not a fluke because it is significantly better sounding and louder than any of my X braced flat top mandolins. Plus the fan braced mandola and pancake mandolin are also the best sounding of that type I have made to date. I am working on the second right now, and it will be my milestone #300. One instrument proves nothing, they need to be consistent.
    Last edited by peter.coombe; Dec-24-2022 at 6:01am.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Thanks Peter - I’ll be keen to hear how you go with #300 - a solid milestone! And best wishes for the festive season!