Thread: Tone and Volume pots on Harmony H35 Batwing

Default Tone and Volume pots on Harmony H35 Batwing

Good morning all. I've been using the Mandolin Cafe for reference, but I figure it's time for me to join as I have some questions, and, well, quite frankly, I work from home now, so I've been using forums to discuss interests for some human interaction, so I guess I'll be here for the long haul and hope to help others with questions.

Anyhow, I have a 1972 Harmon H35 Batwing A/E mandolin that I have had for quite some time. I picked it up quite a few years ago with the original case and all for $100. It was missing the tone and volume knobs, but I turned a set on my lathe. The tuning machines were tight, but I've gotten away with them until I finally swapped them out a couple of years ago with a really nice set, that cost me more than I paid for the mandolin.

Well, now, it seems the tone and volume pots are starting to go on me. They were always a little crunchy, and would make noise when adjusting them, but now, they are starting to come and go unless I tap them on the knobs. The volume pot is much worse than the tone pot.

My question is, what would be a good replacement set for this mandolin? I am not worried about keeping it original. I think I already messed that up with the tuning machine upgrade as I had to ream out the post holes to install them. This is, and will always be, a player mandolin, and will always be played through a PA. I have an acoustic mandolin for when I'm playing through a mic or unplugged. So, if I need to ream out the holes for the pots, it won't be the end of the world. I just want to keep this mandolin playing with the gold foil DeArmond pickup that is original to this mandolin as it has a great sound plugged in. That's the one thing I don't want to change, is the sound through the PA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BatwingH35.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	447.9 KB 
ID:	204374

Thanks, all
    Dan

Default Re: Tone and Volume pots on Harmony H35 Batwing

You could try cleaning the pots with a good contact cleaner before replacing them. If you need to replace them it looks like a humbucker so you most likely have 500K pots. I would get a good brand of pot and full size, not the smaller sized pot. CTS would be a decent pot, so would Precision or Alpha. Allessandro would also be a quality pot. Whatever you get, get an audio taper and not a linear taper pot.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks. I've cleaned pots on other instruments before and never had much luck, but I suppose it's worth a shot. If not, I'll start looking for a new set of pots. Thanks for the recommendations. I am good with the full sized pots. I should be able to get them in the mandolin. I'll see how difficult it is to pull the old ones out and that will determine what I am able to squeeze in.

Dan

If you remove the pickup you will have a large hole to take the pots in and out. You may be able to take the pickkup, pots and all the wiring out at once, rebuild and put it back in as a piece.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Heh. That pickup hole ain't anywhere near as big as the pickup itself. It might be big enough for a pot. Or you might find it necessary to remove the back in order to replace pots.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

You may have better luck if you use Deoxit D100L to clean the pots. Pricey, but it works very well. (The little bottle with the needle applicator is 30 bucks from Amazon, but the alternative can be like doing laparoscopic surgery with your eyes closed.)