Thread: Northfield Mandolins - Big Mon vs Artist

Default Northfield Mandolins - Big Mon vs Artist

Hello, thoughts/opinions on the Northfield Mandolins, Big Mon vs the Artist series, or 4th Gen?

Default Re: Northfield Mandolins - Big Mon vs Artist

I've owned 2 Big Mons and a friend has one. One of them was as good a mandolin as you could ever get IMHO. The other two were great mandolins without having the Wow factor (Incredible volume, tone, pop, punch) that my first one had.

I've always though the more expensive Artist and 4th gen must be because in the appearance as I could not imagine a better mandolin than the first one I had (and foolishly sold). I think you definitely need to play them after proper set up before committing to one. You may find one has the edge and it will make it as good as 4th gen or Artist.

I'm very partial to Northfield mandolins and I've played dozens. Whenever I run across one, I play it. Consistent quality for sure. But as "jimmy powells" says above, they might not all have the 'wow' factor although still a very good mandolin.

I am fortunate here in Nashville and can test a lot of mandolins. I have yet to play on a 4th Gen because they sell very quickly, but I have played on a couple Artist models although I don't remember if they had 2 or 5 tone bars. Again, excellent mandolins but surprisingly I wasn't wowed. There was a NF-F5S at half the price that did wow me. Go figure.

That being said, when I first got my used Big Mon, I was not wowed by it. But now I am, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Unfortunately, the only way you will know what wow's you is to play/compare them in the same room at the same time. Otherwise you can take a gamble and buy one and hope it wows you from the first day/week or maybe after it opens up from playing over time (like mine did... or maybe it was my ears that opened up). You can always sell it later or trade up.

When I got my Big Mon, she quickly became my #1. At this point, I have my OMs and Miss Maybelle on the wall while the others stay in their cases. At this point, they'll prolly be there until I sell them. I bought mine on Reverb so didn't get the chance to play any others but I guess I got lucky.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

I've never tried the Artist series or the 4th gen series of Northfield. But I went from an Eastman 615 mandolin to a Northfield NF5sa and that was quite a move up. I got the hankering for checking out a Big Mon, I liked the idea of a slightly deeper body, so I got a Big Mon with an engleman top off of Reverb. I loved it! So much so that I wanted a Big Mon with an Adirondack top so I got one of those too recently. Again I love it! So I can't help you with the comparison to the Artist series or 4th gen but just say that the Big Mon is a real good mandolin.

And Big Mon takes the lead!

I have a 4th Gen and an F5S. Absolutely love them both for different reasons. The F5S is Engelmann so that makes it a nice change of pace, but it doesn't hold up in a loud jam as well.

The couple of Big Mons I have played were also great. I think the 4th gen is probably a little more balanced all the way up the neck, while the Big Mon is more of a bluegrass growl at the low end. Of course that's a general statement based on only a couple of instruments.
    I think it is a fair statement in my experience that any Northfield is a good mandolin and some are exceptional.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I have owned and/or played several of all the Northfield offerings. Actually it was hearing and playing a couple of Big Mon instruments that first attracted me to the Northfield. However, since that time I have grown less fond of the Big Mon sound... no matter whether it was built with an Engelmann or an Adirondack top I find the sound a little too "woofy" or "puffy" for my tastes. That said, they are still fantastic sounding and playing mandolins... especially at that price point. I believe my favorite Northfield model is their Italian Spruce topped 5-bar Artist Series. Every one I have played or owned has been spectacular... probably the best F5 value in world. I owned a Northfield 4th Gen and found the weight of the instrument and its tonal spectrum to be less appealing than the 5-bar models. As with all mandolins... I advise any buyer to wait to find "the right one" before you pull the trigger. While there is great consistency to the Northfield lineup, certain examples have really got it! Know what I mean?

By the way... I have moved away from F model mandolins and am now playing a two-point mandolin and mandola. A question of playing comfort more than anything to do with tone or volume...
    Last edited by Glassweb; Nov-23-2022 at 6:40pm.