Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Default Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

There is a used Eastman 315 for sale in Onrario. Message me if you want more information. It is almost new, hardly used and in your price range. Message me if you want more information. There is no financial intent on my part!

Many years ago, 1999 I think, I was in Calgary for a day and a night on business and I wandered across the river to a music shop, probably long-gone now, that had several mandolins for sale, including a Peter Sawchyn mandolin, first I'd heard of him, that was very impressive.

Pretty sure his mandolins would be out of your price-range but perhaps that is something you can aspire to later - I believe he was based in Regina (I checked, he's still going! https://www.sawchyn.com/index.php/mandolins)

Meanwhile, a quick look around Calgary music stores throws up this "The Loar" at A Pratte for C$399 which would be a good starter:

https://apratteguitars.com/collectio...tin-brownburst
    Bren

3. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

kdlrd 

Quote Originally Posted by kdlrd View Post
    I don't want to give everyone the impression that I am living under a bridge, as it would be dishonest - I am lucky to have a decent job. But, right now the cash flow needs to go to things arguably more urgent than my musical development such as, you know, keeping the kids well fed and taken care of :-) Hence, the limited budget.

Furthermore I am a beginner, with the calluses from my guitar-playing years long gone. I respect that some people are uncompromising on the quality of their instrument, even as beginners. But at this stage, I prefer an inexpensive mandolin I can use to play, practice adjustments and setting up, etc. without worrying too much (also, did I mention I have small kids? They break things).
    Sounds to me like you have your priorities straight. At some point kids will grow up, start their own families and you’ll have a room full of mandolins

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

Peter Sawchyn (Sawchyn Guitars, Regina, SK) has two used mandos on its site right now -- a Kay (probably not for you!), and a blonde-top Seagull S8 for $400 CDN), but you'd have to add shipping from SK to AB. Peter also currently makes two flattop models -- an oval hole Beavertail and an f-hole Hobo, both good beginner choices, but in the $1,100 range. The Eastman 305 with solid woods and carved top and back still remains a top choice for beginners, and these can be purchased/ordered through L&M (free shipping after Dec 2 or delivered to your nearest store for pickup) (NFI).
    Too many instruments...too little time

7. The following members say thank you to BBarton for this post:

kdlrd 

There's a Seagull S8 in Calgary for $360. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/calga...ase/1642646193

Hi from Toronto. If you buy a Seagull (personally I wouldn't) or a starter like Epiphone (there are always a few on Kijiji) you will want a better mandolin in a year's time. If you can wait for a used Eastman 305 in your price range, it will keep you fairly happy for the next five years and so will in the end save you money (and will be easier to resell should you ever upgrade). Just suggesting that you consider the somewhat longer-term cost. By the way, I've bought lots of instruments on Kijiji and had them shipped to me, no issues. That being said, sometimes you can pick up an Epiphone for 100 or 150 and while it won't sound beautiful, It'll do for learning if set up decently.
    Cary Fagan

10. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

kdlrd 

+1 to Cary in post 31.
    In my view, you should decide whether the purpose for this mandolin is to: (a) serve as a tester to see if you develop a taste for the mando, or (b) be your primary mando for the foreseeable future since you have already decided this is something you want to pursue. If your answer is (b), then I'd spend a bit more for an Eastman. If you know you will be trading it in the near future, maybe you'll happy to learn on any old beater. But I can tell you that IF you do like playing, then you'll be craving a better instrument soon enough (whether you have a Seagull, and Eastman, or a five digit mando).

12. The following members say thank you to Penguin41 for this post:

kdlrd 

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    Hi from Toronto. If you buy a Seagull (personally I wouldn't) or a starter like Epiphone (there are always a few on Kijiji) you will want a better mandolin in a year's time. If you can wait for a used Eastman 305 in your price range, it will keep you fairly happy for the next five years and so will in the end save you money (and will be easier to resell should you ever upgrade). Just suggesting that you consider the somewhat longer-term cost. By the way, I've bought lots of instruments on Kijiji and had them shipped to me, no issues. That being said, sometimes you can pick up an Epiphone for 100 or 150 and while it won't sound beautiful, It'll do for learning if set up decently.
    Or a Big Muddy and you'll never need another flat top. They can be found used for under $500 if you look hard enough.

Stopped by Tom Lee downtown Vancouver BC. On the wall, they have a full line up of mandolins from ~$400 Seagull to ~$900 Eastman. I am sure they will ship to Calgary, but phone to ask if they are cool with returns to your local Calgary store (per their "N days no question asked" return policy. you never know, maybe you do not like the colour). Do take your new mandolin to the bluegrass jam, let other people have at it, they will tell you if action is too high/too low, if strings are okey, if anything else is off. Or stop by the Calgary Ukrainian Orchestra, they should have mandolin-savvy people there. (beware, you may end up with a domra-balalaika instead of a mandolin and play hopaks instead of breakdowns!) https://calgaryhopak.wordpress.com/orchestra/

15. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

kdlrd