Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Default Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

I am on the market for a new beginner mandolin (those of you who hang out in the repairs forum may know the backstory :-)) I just started learning and I know there is a ton of "buying your first mandolin" advice. But - plot twist - I live in Canada and we are not really spoiled for choice here like those of you living down south. The choice is pretty limited, and prices can be high. The way I see it, the options are:

1. Ultracheap mandolins off Amazon (Donner seems to be the most popular brand). Those can be had for 100-150$. Those are going to be unplayable on arrival, but I'd expect that after restringing, lowering the action etc, they can be turned into a usable instrument (that's what I did with my old Rogue).
    2. "Local" entry-level brands at the local stores. There are a number of brands (Alabama, Beaver Creek etc.) that rebrand Asia-made entry-level mandolins for the Canadian market. Not sure about the quality, not much info online.
    3. Good mid-level brands, available from online stores. Ibanez, Epiphone, sometimes even Kentucky etc. Those are probably the best option in terms of quality vs price, but I hate purchasing instruments online without trying them first.
    4. The high-end stuff. Can be found, but it'd be wasted on me, and I don't have the money anyway.

Does anyone have Canada-specific suggestions about what to get (or where to look)?

Default Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Where do you live? There's a big difference between what's available in Toronto and in Igloolik. Many music stores in Canada, including L & McQ, sell both new and used mandolins. I can think of a few stores that sell mandolins on consignment in Ottawa. I've bought good, reasonably-priced mandolins at Long and McQuade in Ottawa (Godin A8, no longer on the market; they still make the Seagull S8, which has been discussed on the Forum) and Rufus Guitar Shop in Vancouver (Espapna, a Finnish mandolin). There are many bluegrass, Celtic, and other style mandolin players across Canada, so used instruments are out there too. Have you googled "mandolin Canada"? Mandolins from Canada are sometimes advertised on the Cafe Classified ads too, as well as on sites such as kijiji.(Godin is a Canadian company.)
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-22-2022 at 9:14pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Teacher, repair person

Folkway Music in Waterloo, ON-- www.folkwaymusic.com has a dozen mandolins in stock, including several Eastman models, amy of which would be a good choice for a first mandolin. A model 505 would keep you busy for several years. Also, a handmade Sawchyn flat top for about the same price.

And there's a Canadian builder whose instruments look interesting to me, though I have not played one: Yair Stern-- www.ystern.ca
    They're a bit moreexpensive than the Eastman 505 or the Sawchyn, but not exhorbitant.

Quote Originally Posted by kdlrd View Post
    I am on the market for a new beginner mandolin (those of you who hang out in the repairs forum may know the backstory :-)) I just started learning and I know there is a ton of "buying your first mandolin" advice. But - plot twist - I live in Canada and we are not really spoiled for choice here like those of you living down south. The choice is pretty limited, and prices can be high. The way I see it, the options are:

1. Ultracheap mandolins off Amazon (Donner seems to be the most popular brand). Those can be had for 100-150$. Those are going to be unplayable on arrival, but I'd expect that after restringing, lowering the action etc, they can be turned into a usable instrument (that's what I did with my old Rogue).
    2. "Local" entry-level brands at the local stores. There are a number of brands (Alabama, Beaver Creek etc.) that rebrand Asia-made entry-level mandolins for the Canadian market. Not sure about the quality, not much info online.
    3. Good mid-level brands, available from online stores. Ibanez, Epiphone, sometimes even Kentucky etc. Those are probably the best option in terms of quality vs price, but I hate purchasing instruments online without trying them first.
    4. The high-end stuff. Can be found, but it'd be wasted on me, and I don't have the money anyway.

Does anyone have Canada-specific suggestions about what to get (or where to look)?

Myhre's Music in Edmonton has a few....http://www.myhresmusic.com/mandolins/index.html
    & Byron, besides being an A class fiddle player (subs in with John Reischman for many Canadian shows) is a fine mandolin player..... you'll get a well set-up instrument

First, I apologize because I should have clarified that my original post is based on where I live, which is the Calgary area. I should also have specified that my budget is limited; $500 is a stretch, $1000 definitely above budget :-( From a brief online search, there are a few local stores with little inventory, and Long&McQuaid which also does not have much. I could always order online, but again I am very uneasy in doing so. There is more in Edmonton, but it is quite a drive and it is hard to take time off.

The Mandolin Store has an Eastman 305 with a cosmetic blemish for $449. If $500 is your limit I think that would be hard to beat.

There's always some risk shipping but it's a reputable store and I think they would take good care of you. It's probably worth a conversation!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

I was in a local shop a couple days ago getting some strings and noticed some "The Loar" A-styles on the wall for $299. I hadn't priced mandolins in a while and was somewhat shocked to see them at such a low price. They actually looked pretty well-made.

On that budget ($500 CDN = 375 US), I'd avoid ordering from the US where shipping and exchange will eat up a good chunk of your money. The Mandolin Store is an American business. I have absolutely nothing against them, but with today's exchange rate, I'd think twice. You also might be paying return shipping if you're not happy with the mandolin. I once bought a mandolin banjo from the US from an advertisement in the Cafe Classifieds. I was happy with both the seller and the instrument, but there were hassles and unanticipated expenses between her place and mine -- in the end, I did get my money's worth though. If I were in your position and couldn't find anything in Calgary, I'd ask stores if they could order a mandolin for me. Long & McQuade has many mandolins listed on their website, and may be able to bring one in. Perhaps someone with more expertise than I have could suggest something in the $500 range listed on the webpage below. Good luck, and check out the Black Friday sales.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/departm...top-pagination
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-23-2022 at 12:42pm.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

Hey, three pieces of advice for buying a mandolin in Canada on a budget: (1) buy used; (2) buy from a Canadian seller; and (3) buy an A-model (don't pay extra for the scroll). Watch kijiji. There's an Eastman 305 with a chip available for $550 plus shipping from Nova Scotia (if they'll agree to ship). You could probably do better if you are willing to watch and wait. For foreign-made models in that price range, consensus seems to be that Eastman is best. Sometimes Kentucky has good instruments cheap on Amazon.ca. Buying from a private seller will save you the sales tax - not as big a deal if you're in Alberta though I guess. Buying from the US you will have to pay import duty (assuming that you are buying an instrument built outside the US), and shipping is more expensive. Hope that helps.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penguin41 For This Useful Post:

kdlrdRanald 

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin41 View Post
    Hey, three pieces of advice for buying a mandolin in Canada on a budget: (1) buy used; (2) buy from a Canadian seller; and (3) buy an A-model (don't pay extra for the scroll). Watch kijiji. There's an Eastman 305 with a chip available for $550 plus shipping from Nova Scotia (if they'll agree to ship). You could probably do better if you are willing to watch and wait. For foreign-made models in that price range, consensus seems to be that Eastman is best. Sometimes Kentucky has good instruments cheap on Amazon.ca. Buying from a private seller will save you the sales tax - not as big a deal if you're in Alberta though I guess. Buying from the US you will have to pay import duty (assuming that you are buying an instrument built outside the US), and shipping is more expensive. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the advice! Any thought on the Seagull S8? On one hand, it looks like it may be possible to procure one new for ~$500, and it does look like a nice entry-level instrument. On the other hand, it does not seem to get much love in this community, with complaints about playability and tone.

Thanks for the advice! Any thought on the Seagull S8? On one hand, it looks like it may be possible to procure one new for ~$500, and it does look like a nice entry-level instrument. On the other hand, it does not seem to get much love in this community, with complaints about playability and tone.
    I wasn't crazy on the Seagull. I've tried a couple in stores, but never had an hour with one. However, Godin/Seagull generally makes good instruments. There are a number of positive reviews, with people playing. Have a listen by searching "Seagull S8 review" on YouTube. The online players in the videos are changing my opinion. Listen to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QN_...el=JoshuaPolak

Don't overthink the whole matter. The Seagull or one of the others recommended above will get you started, and keep you playing for a long time. Assuming that you'll make more money in your life (perhaps an inaccurate assumption), if you eventually find your instrument limiting or otherwise unsatisfying then you can buy a more expensive mandolin. Some folks at Mandolin Cafe are either collectors or individuals on the quest for their perfect instrument. More power to 'em, but you don't need an outstanding instrument to make music, though I understand that you want good quality for your money,
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-23-2022 at 6:29pm.

13. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

kdlrd 

I see that the Calgary Public Library has an instrument-lending service. From what I gathered, it has five mandolins ("pick up and return only at the Memorial Park Library"). If one is available, and one is right now, it might give you a mandolin to play while you're shopping around for your own, so that you don't feel in so much of a hurry to buy.

15. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

kdlrd 

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been doing some thinking and decided that I really want to have the opportunity to play an instrument before buying. There is a local store that (sometimes) stocks Seagulls and Loars, so I’ll probably try there, or Long&McQuade. I have been also keeping an eye on the local Kijiji but nothing interesting so far. Will report back once the deal is done!

17. The following members say thank you to kdlrd for this post:

Ranald 

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been doing some thinking and decided that I really want to have the opportunity to play an instrument before buying. There is a local store that (sometimes) stocks Seagulls and Loars, so I’ll probably try there, or Long&McQuade. I have been also keeping an eye on the local Kijiji but nothing interesting so far. Will report back once the deal is done!
    I've never been to Calgary but I thought it was fairly big city. I am surprised there wouldn't be more options for mandolins. Maybe take a pilgrimage to Nashville ?

First, I apologize because I should have clarified that my original post is based on where I live, which is the Calgary area. I should also have specified that my budget is limited; $500 is a stretch, $1000 definitely above budget :-( From a brief online search, there are a few local stores with little inventory, and Long&McQuaid which also does not have much. I could always order online, but again I am very uneasy in doing so. There is more in Edmonton, but it is quite a drive and it is hard to take time off.

Based on that, this seems to be the best deal under $500 at Long & McQuade:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (303).png 
Views:	53 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	204500

Epiphone has been enjoying a reputation for making some pretty good instruments these days. I've heard some say they prefer certain models of Epiphone guitars over their more expensive Gibson counterparts. I've played one of these Epiphone mandolins, either this model or very close to it, that belonged to a student. It was a few years ago but I recall it as being a decent mandolin. L&M should be able to do a setup on it as well, if it needs it. All things considered & given the limited options under $500, I'd go this route.

20. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

kdlrd 

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    I've never been to Calgary but I thought it was fairly big city. I am surprised there wouldn't be more options for mandolins. Maybe take a pilgrimage to Nashville ?
    It is strange; there are a numbers of stores with a seemingly endless supply of guitars and ukuleles; mandolins, not so much. I guess western Canada is not mandolin country?

Buying one in the States is actually not a crazy idea - even considering exchange rates, mandolin prices here in Canada are very high. But alas my next trip to the States won’t happen for a while.

I'd give Byron a call at Myhre's Music in Edmonton. He's very helpful and usually has inventory. I'd also touch bases with Sawchyn Music in Regina.
    Last edited by j4music; Nov-27-2022 at 12:19am.

23. The following members say thank you to j4music for this post:

kdlrd 

Calgary! Hi from Vancouver! I visited Rufus Guitar (Bwy&Alma) this week, they did not have any entry-level or beater mandolins (several very nice ones, a Weber, a Bob Laughlin), but they regularly get Seagulls and Godins. Give them a call, I am sure they would ship to Calgary. Bone Rattle on Commercial regularly have good beater mandolins in the CAD$100-$500 range, most of those only need "minor work (tm)" to make them excellent players. Long-and-McQuade on Terminal always have usable mandolins. Tom Lee downtown have downsized and only seem to carry severe-entry-level mandolins.

Where people I know get mandolins? Bone Rattle fix'er-uppers, check. mandolin cafe classifieds, check (very nice OM quickly shipped for eastern Canada). one person returned from a business trip from Scotland with a nice mandolin (they found a store with a huge selection). from other players at the ANZA club, check.

What else? Vancouver's Bob Laughlin is making interesting guitar body mandolins https://www.laughlinguitars.ca/, Regina's Sawchin is making nice looking army-navy mandolins https://www.sawchyn.com/index.php/pricing

25. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

kdlrd 

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    Calgary! Hi from Vancouver! I visited Rufus Guitar (Bwy&Alma) this week, they did not have any entry-level or beater mandolins (several very nice ones, a Weber, a Bob Laughlin), but they regularly get Seagulls and Godins. Give them a call, I am sure they would ship to Calgary. Bone Rattle on Commercial regularly have good beater mandolins in the CAD$100-$500 range, most of those only need "minor work (tm)" to make them excellent players. Long-and-McQuade on Terminal always have usable mandolins. Tom Lee downtown have downsized and only seem to carry severe-entry-level mandolins.

Where people I know get mandolins? Bone Rattle fix'er-uppers, check. mandolin cafe classifieds, check (very nice OM quickly shipped for eastern Canada). one person returned from a business trip from Scotland with a nice mandolin (they found a store with a huge selection). from other players at the ANZA club, check.

What else? Vancouver's Bob Laughlin is making interesting guitar body mandolins https://www.laughlinguitars.ca/, Regina's Sawchin is making nice looking army-navy mandolins https://www.sawchyn.com/index.php/pricing
    Thank you so much for the insights! Vancouver seems better than Calgary in terms of options. Do you have any insight on Tom Lee? Their online store has quite an impressive stock of below-$1,000 mandolin; pretty good price on the KM-150 too. But, as I said before, I am hesitant to order online, especially not knowing the store.

I would say, any mandolin you buy today would be better than *my* first mandolin (and my *second* mandolin. my third is an old Gibson A-4, fourth was an ovation mandolin, recently revivified, I should post pictures).

I visited Long-and-McQuade yesterday, they had a used ??? brand china-made f-hole mandolin for about CAD$300. Loud, good tone. Also "minor work needed", but this would be included in the free setup, if you call them, ask for Jake to work on it. (I do not see it listed on their web site, confirms the wisdom of "call the store").

I have not been to Tom Lee recently (they stopped carrying whistles-and-flutes kind of stuff after downsizing), last time I was there (to buy a baroque recorder and a usb mike) I remember seeing only the cheap mandolins.

I always recommend - play as many different mandolins as you can before buying your own. some people like narrow neck, some people like wide neck, some people like more bass, some people like a killer a string. you never know until you try. most players are very welcoming to "can I try your mandolin?". Irish sessions, bluegrass and old time jams are all good places to meet other players. Check this: https://thesession.org/sessions/search?day=&q=calgary

28. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

kdlrd 

Dave, Going to Nashville is always a good idea, but with an instrument budget of $375USD/$500 Cdn.....you can't even get a plane ticket from Calgary....

It's 180 miles to Edmonton & Mike McLeod's shop in Calgary has moved to Victoria. Myhre's music in Edmonton is the shop with knowledgeable (pro ! staff) in Alberta..... & they will ship to YYC if you can't make the drive.

Unfortunately you're unlikely to find a well set-up instrument at a big box guitar store like Long & McQuade or Tom Lee.

I'd suggest contacting the Calgary Bluegrass Club https://foothillsbluegrass.com/ and asking if someone has a beginner's mandolin for sale.
    Last edited by doc holiday; Nov-28-2022 at 2:33pm.

30. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

kdlrd 

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Dave, Going to Nashville is always a good idea, but with an instrument budget of $375USD/$500 Cdn.....you can't even get a plane ticket from Calgary....

It's 180 miles to Edmonton & Mike McLeod's shop in Calgary has moved to Victoria. Myhre's music in Edmonton is the shop with knowledgeable (pro ! staff) in Alberta..... & they will ship to YYC if you can't make the drive.

Unfortunately you're unlikely to find a well set-up instrument at a big box guitar store like Long & McQuade or Tom Lee.

I'd suggest contacting the Calgary Bluegrass Club https://foothillsbluegrass.com/ and asking if someone has a beginner's mandolin for sale.
    Delta can get you from Calgary to Nashville round trip for $334 USD. Maybe make a vacation out of it

Delta can get you from Calgary to Nashville round trip for $334 USD. Maybe make a vacation out of it
    Some of you folks have a rather loose grasp of economics. The OP told us "my budget is limited; $500 is a stretch, $1000 definitely above budget" and you're suggesting that he spend $334 to fly to Nashville for a vacation, where he'll being paying for meals, lodging, and taxis to and from the airport in American dollars, apart from a mandolin there. Unless good mandolins cost $25 in Nashville, give the poor soul a break. If he or she had that kind of money, they wouldn't be asking us about where to buy inexpensive mandolins in Canada.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

I don't want to give everyone the impression that I am living under a bridge, as it would be dishonest - I am lucky to have a decent job. But, right now the cash flow needs to go to things arguably more urgent than my musical development such as, you know, keeping the kids well fed and taken care of :-) Hence, the limited budget.

Furthermore I am a beginner, with the calluses from my guitar-playing years long gone. I respect that some people are uncompromising on the quality of their instrument, even as beginners. But at this stage, I prefer an inexpensive mandolin I can use to play, practice adjustments and setting up, etc. without worrying too much (also, did I mention I have small kids? They break things).

35. The following members say thank you to kdlrd for this post:

Ranald 

I live in a much smaller Canadian city and for me the Seagull S8 was a great choice. Right now on the L+M site there is one being sold at a discount and your local store can bring it in for you - I know they are not for everyone, but all the others I found in this price range were lifeless plastic coated wood despite their traditional looks lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjyNe2zUILA&t=71s A review I did a while back.

Hope this is allowed - link to one currently for sale https://www.long-mcquade.com/68583/G...urnt-Umber.htm
    Last edited by Chris Browne; Nov-29-2022 at 10:55am. Reason: typo

37. The following members say thank you to Chris Browne for this post:

kdlrd