Thread: Compton vs. Henry Lessons

Default Compton vs. Henry Lessons

Both Mike and Chris offer video lessons. Mike's are on Peghead Nation, and Chris offers lessons on his own website. Chris has a Black Friday deal going today. Not that one is better than the other, but any thoughts about what you folks have found works best for you? If you were to choose one of Chris' Monroe Improvising videos, which one?
    Last edited by banjoboy; Nov-25-2022 at 3:08pm.

Default Re: Compton vs. Henry Lessons

I done both and I really like both.

Chris Henry relies heavily on learning by ear. A little harder at the outset but you remember the songs better. Chris also has organizing principles for the Monroe improvisation style that I thought were enlightening. Chris’s lessons were like drinking from a firehose at first but there is an internal logic that stuck for me once I understood it.

The Mike Compton lessons I did were note for note demonstrations of how to play Monroe tunes and were very clear and approachable.

I think most people will have valuable takeaways from both. Good luck!

I’ve been studying with Chris for a few years and have gone through all of this content as it was being developed int he workshops. It is great. There is so much content and he is really good at playing it fast, slowing it down, and then showing you note for note and then speeding it up. There are also demo and practice tracks. If you get Monroe Lineage 1, Mike Compton is on the some of those videos demonstrating the songs and talking about them. So that would be a way to get a good dose to Mike too. David Mclaughlin is also provides videos of his take on the songs.

You could also join Peghead and try it for a month for free using the Mandolin Cafe code. Mike is great and hearing him teach anything is always a joy, but the Henry stuff has been fun and a good fit for my learning style.

I've used both, and both are valuable. I will say that Mike's Peghead Nation lessons are note-for-note demonstrations of Monroe breaks. The Monroe Improv courses that Chris offers are a much more in-depth study of how to come up with Monroe style breaks and variations of your own (understanding how to use arpeggios, licks, phrasing the way Monroe did), in addition to also studying note-for-note Monroe breaks. I've found his Monroe improv courses to have advanced my playing more than any other online lessons I've found so far, and given me way more freedom improvising over fiddle tunes and songs, and understanding the fret board. I think they are worth every penny. Start with Monroe Improv 1, and go from there. *Disclaimer* neither are geared for a total beginner, both courses expect you to already understand the basics of chords, scales, how bluegrass is structured etc. For total beginners, I'd start with Sharon Gilchrist's beginning mandolin and fretboard method courses on Peghead nation, which are excellent introductions to the genre and instrument. Enjoy!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

It is always a function of how a teacher communicates his or her ideas on playing. Some teachers make perfect sense the first time you hear them. Some never do. Part of that is language and part of that is how your and their brain works. Look for the best teacher for you. Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

6. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Kenny