Thread: Seeking new/used tunning machines for the 1940's (?) Dobro mando

Question Seeking new/used tunning machines for the 1940's (?) Dobro mando

I've got a neat little old 1940's (?) Dobro brand resonator mandolin with at least one bad tuning gear. I'll buy a new set or an old set that works. Center post to center post is 7/8" (0.875") and I'm thinking any other measurement would not work as the headstock is too fragile for drilling new holes, just my opinion. I believe these mandolins were built by Regal.

Alternatively I'd like a few replacement gears, but they would have to be exact and I've looked through tons of gears and can't find anything that matches. Maybe someone machines stuff like this that didn't cost so much I'd have to sell the mandolin to afford it?

Yes, I checked StewMac. Help! And thanks in advance. -Jarmbru

Default Re: Seeking new/used tunning machines for the 1940's (?) Dobro ma

I have a 1934 (or earlier) Regal wooden body resonator mandolin with a spider bridge. In 1934 they started stamping a number on the inside of the cone coverplate, and mine is not stamped.

The tuning machines on mine were shot, so I replaced them with a set of Stew Mac's Golden Age tuning machines. I did have to slightly ream out the headstock holes on the front to fit the bushings (originally there were no bushings on mine).

I used a tapered hand reamer to open up the holes to the correct diameter drill bit, then drilled using just finger/hand power to the appropriate depth for the bushings.

I also had to drill new holes on the back of the headstock for the mounting screws. Those are pretty small so I carefully used an electric drill.

Based on advice here I've used only light strings (.008 or .009 E's) on this reso-mando.

Jarmbru...
    I think those machines were made by Kluson. I have a new set of Kluson machines, same gearing and post c/c as on the Dobro mando. The three center screws are in the same location, the two outer screws are a bit further outboard. The buttons on the machines I have are round buttons instead of oval, and the buttons are the screw-on type. Let me know if interested - siminoff(at)siminoff.net.
    Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	machines.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	386.5 KB 
ID:	204622  

Teacher, repair person

Those of us who have parts boxes need to know exactly what to look for, so a clear picture of the tuners you wish to repair or replace would be helpful . . .

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

rcx56... Both the tuners and peghead in the photo are a 50s era Dobro mandolin. I'm holding a set of Kluson machines,...
    R

This should be taking place in the Classifieds or as PM's as we don't want commerce on the forum.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    This should be taking place in the Classifieds or as PM's as we don't want commerce on the forum.
    Sorry about that. I didn't think it would be a problem. -J