Thread: Christmas Mandolin

Default Christmas Mandolin

Worked out a version of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas". I imagine lots of folks have some Christmas mandolin tunes under their belt.

(4).mp3

2. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Default Re: Christmas Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    Worked out a version of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas". I imagine lots of folks have some Christmas mandolin tunes under their belt.

(4).mp3
    I've always thought this was a nice collection of simply arranged well- and lesser- known tunes.
    Page 26 is a personal favorite.

https://pghardy.net/tunebooks/pgh_xm...book_paged.pdf

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dery For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I have a list, and I'm checking it twice ...

Adeste Fidelis
    Angels We Have Heard On High
    Do You Hear What I Hear?
    Feliz Navidad
    The First Noel
    Good King Wenceslas
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    Greensleeves (What Child Is This)
    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
    Jingle Bell Rock
    Jingle Bells
    Joy To The World
    O Little Town of Bethlehem
    O Tannenbaum
    Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    Santa Got Run Over By A Reindeer
    Silent Night
    Silver Bells
    Twelve Days Of Christmas
    We Three Kings
    We Wish You A Merry Christmas
    White Christmas
    Winter Wonderland

Essentially, this is the list of Christmas songs I can probably play without screwing up too badly. "Silver Bells" is still probably my favorite, and I'll noodle on it between songs year-round (to some people' consternation) because I think it is just a loovely tune, and a good tuning check. I've been been bonding with "Angels We Have Heard On High" over the past few years.

I've worked some of these into what I call "Acoustic Thrash Medley." I've done this a few times, even electric once, and they're up on youtube. When I say thrash, it's mostly a way of slinging a few together in the same key of G, driving the G and D strings as a drone, and embracing whatever sloppiness occurs. Not recommended for those who are sentimental about the holiday. It's "Angels We Have Heard On High," "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," "Adeste Fidelis," "Joy To The World," "Angels We Have Heard On High" reprise.

I've taken stabs at the following, with mixed results. The chord structures are more challenging than the above.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    Oh Holy Night

You can search for the medley if you like; I'll leave it off here because it comes out pretty rough every time, even though it's fun. But I'll include this, which came out fine after a few passes. Managed to just slip in that final 6th chord.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

An original and a trad.

An oldy!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hicks For This Useful Post:

I would like to learn "Carol of the Bells". I was just thinking about that tune the other day. When my son was in middle school (many moons ago) he took up percussion and they started them on xylophone. "Carol of the Bells" was on the set list for the Christmas concert, and I sat him down and worked with him while he practiced, singing that run and having him play it until he got it right. At the concert, I could hear him play it, well, over the rest of the kids. The other day, I realized I had helped him learn it by ear.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Dec-17-2022 at 10:11am. Reason: oops, was thinking of the wrong tune.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Dery View Post
    I've always thought this was a nice collection of simply arranged well- and lesser- known tunes.
    Page 26 is a personal favorite.

https://pghardy.net/tunebooks/pgh_xm...book_paged.pdf
    Thanks for this. Just got a bunch from Tim Connell's class, too. Better get at 'em...Tempus Fugit you know.

I came up with this arrangement many years ago. Here is the TAB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Have Yourself Merry Christmas Chord Melody Mando.pdf 
Views:	74 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	204852
    Last edited by Perry; Dec-17-2022 at 10:40am.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
    An original and a trad.

An oldy!

Well that was uncanny. I was listening to the opening stanza & hearing a funky back-beat kind of rhythm in my head when, lo & behold (that's a Christmas kind of expression, right?) you broke into something very similar. I suspect we might have a lot in common, musically. I liked the original too. If you have more stuff, you should post it. Oh yeah, I also appreciate you following my "Nick's Front Porch Mandolin" thread over on the Sound Files forum. You're in a pretty exclusive club there

14. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    Well that was uncanny. I was listening to the opening stanza & hearing a funky back-beat kind of rhythm in my head when, lo & behold (that's a Christmas kind of expression, right?) you broke into something very similar. I suspect we might have a lot in common, musically. I liked the original too. If you have more stuff, you should post it. Oh yeah, I also appreciate you following my "Nick's Front Porch Mandolin" thread over on the Sound Files forum. You're in a pretty exclusive club there
    Nick -

Thanks for listening and commenting. I've enjoyed your originals and takes on OT music.

D.H.

16. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Here's one I just finished. Song with mandolins, guitar, uke and percussion.

Some “Irish” folderol from the music halls of the 1880s. It was written by C. Frank Horn (1851-1928), a Pennsylvania songwriter who wrote a number of comedy songs in the 1880’s. (For more information see pp. 16-20 in https://nyfolklore.org/wp-content/up...ices-2007b.pdf.)

We used to hear this pretty often on Folk Radio, back when that was a thing, around this time of year. I don’t recall whose version was generally played – the Irish Rovers? Mick Moloney and Eugene O’Donnell?

18. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I would like to learn "Carol of the Bells"
    Could be a bit tricky. Unless you figure out how to play the counterpoint as well. Without that, it's mighty repetitious. Good luck!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Could be a bit tricky. Unless you figure out how to play the counterpoint as well. Without that, it's mighty repetitious. Good luck!
    Maybe I need someone else to play it with. I have a friend who recently took up the banjo ....
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Blog Entries

Yes, I think that would be the way to go. I do think it's possible to arrange it for solo mandolin, but looking at the sheet music, it seems challenging. Perhaps simplifying it a bit would help. But arranging it for duo would probably be more successful.