Thread: Mystery Croatian Instrument

Default Mystery Croatian Instrument

Glazbala of Zagreb made some archtop guitars in the 50s or 60s which were imported into the UK. This is for sale in the USA and is nearly 26 inches long. I assume it most be an instrument that evolved in that part of the Balkans but it may just be a variant of the Bouzouki.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19548587988...c888%7Ciid%3A1

Default Re: Mystery Croatian Instrument

That's a tamburiza, a prim or bisernica to be exact. I have one myself. Tamburizas (tamburicas) come in many sizes, and are sometimes played in large bands. They're popular with Serbs too. In fact, I wouldn't go into a Serbian bar and claim my tamburiza as a Croatian instrument!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamburica

For the record:

Name:  s-l64-1.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  1.5 KB. Name:  s-l64-2.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  1.5 KB

Name:  s-l64-3.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  1.5 KB. Name:  s-l64.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  1.4 KB

Sorry, I don't know how to enlarge those thumbnails.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

"I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

"I wouldn't go into a Serbian bar and claim my tamburiza as a Croatian instrument!"

If you did, you would need to place a sticker over "Glazbala Zagreb" on its top- maybe a Serbian double- headed eagle?

That Jerry Garcia lookalike in the video rocks!

That's true. I was thinking of tamburitzas in general rather than that specific one. I wouldn't walk into a Croatian bar and say that tamburitzas were Serbian instruments either. Actually, in the city where I grew up, a popular nightclub run by Serbs had a Croatian house band, so Serbs and Croatians are like everyone else -- they can get along. I'm glad you enjoyed the music. By the way, Jerry is a Croatian-American from Pennsylvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Grcevich
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-26-2022 at 10:29am.

8. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

I've sold a few of the tamburitza instruments, my buyers were from the Pittsburgh area and were involved with the Croatian musical community. It was all prim and proper
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

10. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Ranald 

Does anyone have an idea, what strings / string diameter to use to tune a bisernica in fifths?
    I also have one and tore a string trying to do so. I guess I got overly zealous.
    Eastman MD-315, Eastman MDO-305, Kentucky KM-150, Calace 1917, Gibson A ~ 1920, Johnson resonator mando

Quote Originally Posted by Cando View Post
    Does anyone have an idea, what strings / string diameter to use to tune a bisernica in fifths?
    I also have one and tore a string trying to do so. I guess I got overly zealous.
    This site suggests GDAE, which is convenient for mandolin players. I don't know what kind of strings I use. My luthier, who retired recently, had various strings that he sold singly to fit tamburizas. There's a Croatian tamburitza orchestra in town, so he supplied some or all of their musicians. A few years ago I searched the internet for information on prims, but found little available in English. There may be more now. I often find things on the net that I couldn't in the past (such as the page below).

http://learningtambura.byethost6.com/prim.html?i=1
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-27-2022 at 12:42pm.

13. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Cando