Thread: TUSQ replacement nuts

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Default TUSQ replacement nuts

Recently replaced the nut on my F5 with the TUSQ pre-slotted nut. Really pleased with the nut itself and the whole installation process. Having the slots perfectly pre-cut and shaped takes about 90% of the work out, leaving just the actual sizing into place. Mine is a standard 1 1/16 flat board and the only issue is that the TUSQ comes with a very slight radius. So I had to take just a little off the D & A - not an issue. Stings tune nicely with no tendencies to grab, the TUSQ material seems "slippery" with little friction evident. Be interested to know the experience that others have had.

https://graphtech.com/products/tusq-slotted-mandolin-nut-pq-1530-00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 9.04.24 AM.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	204479

Default Re: TUSQ replacement nuts

I am using a black graphite impregnated TUSQ nut on my mandolin and it works well. Sounds good too. I think you got lucky with the setup from stock, most of the time there will be much more refitting.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Default Re: TUSQ replacement nuts

There is plenty of extra material on H/W/D, so there is a good bit of sanding and filing to fit it properly in the slot. I found using calipers very helpful in keeping things square and easing to the proper size. The string slots themselves are absolutely perfect and cutting those are out of my pay grade anyway. Took my time and enjoyed the process - about 2 hrs. And it does produce a great full tone to my ear.