Thread: Eastman md 504 or Eastman km 272

Default Eastman md 504 or Eastman km 272

Any real world comparisons between these two models? Aside from the case what are some of the advantages of one over the other? Also thinking of the md 304 as well. Thanks all
    Last edited by astein2006; Nov-26-2022 at 6:49pm. Reason: Mistake

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: Eastman md 504 or Eastman km 272

I think you meant Kentucky KM-272.

I own a Kentucky KM-250, have played several Eastman 300, 400, & 500 series mandolins, and just bought an Eastman MD-514 (waiting on shipping).

I’m also a fairly unapologetic Eastman booster on the forum. I love my Eastman guitar, and I’ve enjoyed the feel & tone the Eastman mandolins I’ve played.

But I’d say that at the Eastman 300 series/ Kentucky 200 series level you’re going to be getting very similar instruments.

With the Eastman 300 series vs the 500 series the 300 series will have a matte “open poor” finish with bound body front and a gig bag.

The 500 series will have a gloss finish with a bound body (front & back) and bound neck, upgraded tuners, and a hard case.

The Kentucky 200 series will have a variety of finishes, mostly gloss, a bound body front & neck, and a gig bag.

The Kentucky will come with a two piece stamped tail piece (that I hate). Eastman 300 & 500 series mandolins come with a one piece cast tail piece.

And while the tuners on the 500 series Eastmans are upgraded over the 300 series, many forum members still hate them.

Hope this helps.

4. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

IMO the difference between the Eastman 300 series and the 500 series are tuners & the hard case. In my head that explains the step up in price, and IMO is worth the extra bucks.

That’s why yesterday I bought an MD-514 rather that an MD-314, even though I knew full well I would have been perfectly happy with the 314.

And I knew that if I hated the 314 tuners as much some forum members hate the Eastman 500 series tuners, then Grover makes drop in replacements.

In fact I met a guy at a weekend jam who specifically bought a 315 rather than a 515, and used a portion of the savings for Grover’s. In his head he saved himself about $200.

Or about what a good hard case costs if he ever decides he wants one.

I’ll let someone else talk now.

6. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I’d say that at the Eastman 300 series/ Kentucky 200 series level you’re going to be getting very similar instruments.
    I need to change this a little. At that level the Kentucky will have a stamped 2-piece tail piece while the Eastman will have a cast 1-piece tail piece. That’s a nod to the Eastman IMO.

One of the differences I’d like to point out is where the neck meets the body. The Eastman MD-504 joins around the tenth fret and the fretboard sits flush on the top similar to a teens/twenties Gibson. The Kentucky KM-272 joins around the fourteenth fret and has a fretboard that’s elevated like most modern A styles. I can’t say that one is better than the other.
    Last edited by Steve 2E; Nov-26-2022 at 11:49pm. Reason: Clarification

9. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

Ok I’ve thought about it more and want an oval hole but in the 300 matte finish series. Now it’s down to the 304 or 314. Is there any tone or volume difference between the two body styles. I like them both for different reasons. I’m not sure which would be more comfortable with a strap. The A style looks like you have to tie it at the nut area. Any real world experience with the 314 here?

I have never been able to detect any difference in tone between two similar A body and F body mandolins. Some people may say that they can, but I can't. I paid the extra to buy a 514 over a 504 simply because I prefer the looks of an F body mandolin.

Here's a video of Jeremy from The Acoustic Shoppe playing a 304 and a 314, same tunes back to back (tunes at the end of the video).

Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by astein2006 View Post
    Ok I’ve thought about it more and want an oval hole but in the 300 matte finish series. Now it’s down to the 304 or 314. Is there any tone or volume difference between the two body styles. I like them both for different reasons. I’m not sure which would be more comfortable with a strap. The A style looks like you have to tie it at the nut area. Any real world experience with the 314 here?
    You're buying it based on looks so get the one that looks better to you if price is not an issue. Any appreciable difference in sound will be due to the natural variability between instruments, not scroll or lack thereof.