Thread: DW Stevens reverse mandolin.

Default DW Stevens reverse mandolin.

Denny Stevens was a unique and very talented Colorado luthier who mostly made guitars but during his career but I've heard of the reverse scroll mandolin and this is the only image I've found of it. This image was on his business card.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens reverse.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	204504  

Default Re: DW Stevens reverse mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Denny Stevens was a unique and very talented Colorado luthier who mostly made guitars but during his career but I've heard of the reverse scroll mandolin and this is the only image I've found of it. This image was on his business card.
    It's also on his website here. Not the first time that was done but it looks like it was well engineered. I like his better than the Unicorn and Mustang.

It looks like he left us too soon. RIP.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

All mandolins are like that south of the equator.

semi-deleted for lack of originality and attribution. but that does not make it untrue.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Nov-27-2022 at 6:44pm.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Interesting guy... I love people who go off the beaten track and follow their own passions for design and workmanship. Sounds like he made two reverse-scroll mandolins and I might guess that each was different. I would love to see more photos of his instruments especially mandolins. Anyone own any of his instruments?

All in all, there are 198 “D W Stevens” instruments in existence. Denny was a versatile builder and each instrument is truly a masterpiece. He made 130 flat tops (6 standard models and 2 experimental tulip designs) 33 arch tops (3 models and 4 styles), 15 classical, 10 mandolins (2 reverse curls), 1 acoustic bass, 1 tenor ukulele, 1 tenor guitar, 2 electric guitars, 2 lutes, 2 guitjos and 1 banjo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I was introduced to Denny in the early 80's by a friend who was the first person I knew to have build his own mandolin and the inspiration for me to do it too.
    Mid 80's I was building a hollow body electric guitar and having no luck getting the frets to set. I stopped by Denny's and he got out his caliper and measured everything and said the fret wire tang I had was too big for the slots I had cut. He sent me home with the correct wire and I realized I had quite a bit of learning to do if I was going to continue with the luthier thing.
    His shop was small but immaculate and spotless. Great guy and I'm glad to have known him.

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

NeoGeo 

Denny Stevens was a friend and did some of the finest work I’ve ever seen. Both original and repairs. I was first introduced to him via mandolin great Charlie Provenza. He only worked on my pre war instruments and knew what it was about to do so. I got to play one of the reverse scroll mandolins. It was a fine mandolin.
    Steve Smith

I have a DW Stevens mandolin that looks very much like this one. It's a marvelous instrument that I keep telling myself that I'm going to learn how to play but (being a guitar/bass player) I never quite get around to doing. I rarely sell pieces but am thinking it should go to someone who will actually use it. Thoughts?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/43/06...84e5b8defa.jpg