Thread: Thoughts - Northfield Artist Series Engelmann Five Bar

Default Thoughts - Northfield Artist Series Engelmann Five Bar

I have owned a few Northfield mandolins over the years. An F5S was my main mandolin for about 3 years and then I briefly had a very early Big Mon. I just pulled the trigger on a beautiful Artist Series with an Engellman top and 5 bar bracing. I haven't seen any posts on the cafe within 4-5 years regarding these so I wanted to ask for reviews thoughts from anyone who owns or has played one. I have heard some say that they have a Gil X braced quality which is what I'm hoping for. I also am in love with the art deco Deluxe Headstock inlay vs. regular artist inlay.

Anything to fill the void while I wait for it to arrive. As an aside, I am also excited about the Tura DLX case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-28 122656.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	204524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-28 121714.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	204525

Default Re: Thoughts - Northfield Artist Series Engelmann Five Bar

I think I have only played one of the 5-bar variety so I'm not necessarily qualified to say, but I do have the Tura DLX case and absolutely love it!
    I suspect your 5 bar w/ Engelmann will have an amazingly full and complex tone. Excellent for all kinds of music, but perhaps less suited to hard driving bluegrass than my 4th Gen with Red spruce.
    Congrats!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Wow! It's beautiful. Congratulations.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

I have a 2016 Artist with the specs you describe. It is beautiful instrument and sounded good right out of the box, due I think to the warmth of engleman. I have several other good mandolins but prefer to play the Northfield on stage. Make sure you keep it properly humidified during the winter. You will find that the top is very sensitive to humidity changes. I had Lynn Dudenbostel put Grover tuners on mine but that's a personal preference thing. I like the 18:1 gear ratio.
    We few, we happy few.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ritchhart View Post
    Make sure you keep it properly humidified during the winter. You will find that the top is very sensitive to humidity changes.
    I own an NF-f5s and I got it for a great deal because the top was cracked (and repaired). I live in Colorado. All my acoustic instruments are kept in their cases. For guitars i use planet oasis humidifiers and for mandos I use Dampit.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc