Thread: I like big triangle picks - no, wait...

Default I like big triangle picks - no, wait...

Spot the odd one out in the photo below:

Fender F-Grip 346 1.5
    Dunlop Primetone triangle 1.4
    Dunlop Ultex triangle 1.14 (thickest they do in this shape Ultex?)
    Dunlop Ultex 'XL Series Jazz III' 1.38 (? - It don't say)

There I was thinking I'd found a pick shape and size I like the sound of (triangle), and this Jazz III thing appears - good sound, grippy, and lots of definition on the start of the note (if that's what you want). Now, I wonder if they make a 1.38 large triangle but I haven't found one yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSX_20221130_110721.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	204568

Default Re: I like big triangle picks - no, wait...

Dunlop & Clayton both make picks out of Ultem. Clayton has a slightly heavier URT120 that is 1.2mm thick. I like Ultem for its tone but they wear out faster than the Meldin of a Blue Chip so for rhythm guitar I prefer Blue Chips. For my mandolin playing Ultem is great. Why not write to Dunlop or Clayton and see if they can make thicker ones to your specs?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

maxr 

Many months ago I was looking into pick materials. I didn't go back and confirm, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Primetone is Ultex with hand beveling. So you may have what you're looking for already?

5. The following members say thank you to Stumbler Scott for this post:

maxr 

Make sure to try out both "grip" and smooth versions of the Primetone picks, as they have a different sound ("grip" is slightly less dense, due to the pressing process used, or so I read). They come in 1.5mm and 1.4mm both - at least that's what I've seen in the past. (I know I have both in 1.5mm thickness.)

p.s. You can also get yourself a pack of those MicroMesh pads that go from like 1800 to 12000 "grit" and experiment with removing or adding bevels, really polishing up the edges, etc. It's an interesting rabbit-hole to go down, and might change your mind on what matters, or not, for your playing style.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

7. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbler Scott View Post
    Many months ago I was looking into pick materials. I didn't go back and confirm, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Primetone is Ultex with hand beveling. So you may have what you're looking for already?
    Interesting, 'cos the Primetone 1.4 is my favorite large triangle pick. If Stumbler above is correct and it's made of the same material as Ultex picks, that would explain it. Here in UK, it seems like Primetones are available in 1.4 opaque brown smooth and 1.5 redder and slightly translucent with the dimpled grip, and my experience is they do sound different. I like the grip but I prefer the sound of the 1.4 - oh well.