Thread: Shopgoodwill.com Eastman 604

Default Shopgoodwill.com Eastman 604

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/155850047

Not mine, (obviously) no FI, just caught my eye.

That's a lot of mandolin to drop off at GW. I wonder if the 'shrunken binding' at the heel is a crack?
    Last edited by bob_mc; Nov-30-2022 at 12:39pm.

Default Re: Shopgoodwill.com Eastman 604

I don't think they ever came from the factory with an XLR jack. I wonder what is, or was, inside that thing? The earlier ones did not have pickups, and the most recent ones just have the K&K with endpin jack. (Latest ones have block inlay, but they started the pickup feature shortly before changing the 6xx series to have the block inlays, because I was looking at one of those briefly.)

I'm guessing it's going to go high, with a couple days left to go, but with that hole in the side, and possible electronics that don't work, it's an easy pass.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

That jack is curious for sure. And I agree that it will indeed go up in bid$. Those auctions are fascinating to me.

Caveat emptor!!!

5. The following members say thank you to bob_mc for this post:

It is interesting how bidding can go high in the absence of decent photos, descriptions, and any right of return, but I guess there are resellers who are ok with a margin of, say less than 20% below their asking price; which for this may be around $700. So these folk will go above $500 on an unknown $1000 thing, and hope to do well on average. Sometimes, they will get stung. There are also end-users (players) who may think this is a bargain at 3/4 retail, and also hope there are no problems. These folk will not do well on average, since they’re not averaging, and will often get stung.
    Anything that’s much more variable, and expensive, like old Gibsons, seem to bid unreasonably high considering the variety of unknowns involved, and that’s a different market.
    I’ve now bought a whole bunch of mandolins from Goodwill, but most down in grocery money and expecting problems for exercise, so never get disappointed with what comes out of the box. Retail values are simply not a consideration, my labor cost is zero. Must be others doing the same.
    In the industrial market where I sometimes buy and sell, 10% or less of original price is a lot, on things valued up to the millions, and that’s different too.

7. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

bob_mc 

If I remember correctly, the balanced XLR jack was an option for the Schertler reso-coil pickup. You can still order them from Schertler that way.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

9. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

bob_mc 

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    If I remember correctly, the balanced XLR jack was an option for the Schertler reso-coil pickup. You can still order them from Schertler that way.
    A quick look showed that [pickup] is $300. If it's working, that might be a nice rig, but if it's not, you've got a $600 mandolin with a hole in the side. (There's a non-pickup'd 605 on the local CL for under $600.)

Still not interested, even though I am browsing those oval hole things pretty regularly. (And, well, I decided after a year+ with an Eastman their neck is just not my cuppa...)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

11. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

bob_mc