Thread: Pete Sutherland RIP

Default Pete Sutherland RIP

Some of you may be familiar with Pete Sutherland, a creative fiddler in the traditional vein. I first became aware of him through the group Metamora from Indiana, in which he played circa 1990. My sweetheart knows him through Pete's Posse from Vermont, and as a contradance fiddler. Pete is described as a multi-instrumentalist (with fiddlers, that usually means there's a mandolin involved). Pete played very well and wrote some fine tunes. I've never met him or heard him live. Still, it's a shame to see him go. (Added: Cancer, apparently.)

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...t?oid=37055160

Here's a mandolin interpretation of one of Pete's tunes, "Sunday Waltz," posted by someone using the name "crisscross".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXmg...nel=crisscross

Last edited by Ranald; Dec-02-2022 at 4:09pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pete Sutherland RIP

I knew Pete and spent time with him in small doses over the years. Everything that people are saying about him is true. He was an inspiring both as a musician and a person. RIP.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I met him here in Scotland once when he came over with a bunch of young (mostly) fiddle players from Vermont, who I think he was mentoring.
    Actually he wasn't playing fiddle in the short time I saw him, but melodica or something like that. That was probably about 6 years ago, I should think. To be honest, I didn't think he looked that well.

Metamora were originally a duo with Malcolm Dalglish and Grey Larsen, who made a great album called Thunderhead and then Pete joined, I think I'm right in saying.

Sad news. RIP.
    David A. Gordon

6. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Ranald 

Pete's passing is a particularly great loss for those of us here in Vermont. His presence was a treasure to all. He had been battling cancer for quite a while and was in control of his passing thanks to Vermont's Death with Dignity law.
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

8. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Ranald 

Yes Pete Sutherland was a great musician and fine person. We played together in the Appalachian Gap String Band here in Vermont. We played last this summer at Middlebury College Breadload Writers conference and had a ball. Over the past several weeks the pain and dysfunction from his metastatic cancer got the better of him and he decided it was enough. He was totally serene at the end . Death with Dignity here in Vermont. Pete could play anything well including the mandolin. He has left a huge mark on the acoustic/old-time/traditional music world and his smile and influence will be steadfast in our hearts. RIP my old friend Doug Campbell in Vermont

10. The following members say thank you to bones12 for this post:

Ranald 

I never met Peter but have a recording of his waltzes and his book of waltzes: "The Neighborhood Waltz."
    I have played lots of them and really love "Upper Valley Waltz" and Will Patton's version of it.

12. The following members say thank you to Nick Royal for this post:

Ranald 

at recent Fiddle Hell Online (on zoom), Rodney Miller introduces a groovy tune "Coral Riff". Pete's Posse is next on the schedule. My brain goes "click! he is the composer!", chat request goes out "play Coral Riff!!!". and they do! Yay! Highlight of the year! Learned the tune, now one of our local favourites. Last tune of this contra dance set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-enCvxHfZ0. RIP.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocello8 For This Useful Post:

Pete was so much more than a fiddler or musician. He touched lives in a deep way. His songs were prayers like this one.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Buckingham For This Useful Post: