Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danelectro Guitarlin

Default Danelectro Guitarlin

This is being sold as a 1990s made instrument- so not from the late 1950s. Something, a bit different to say the least!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38504544125...Bk9SR56Li_yaYQ

Default Re: Danelectro Guitarlin

The company was founded and flourished about 10 miles from where I live. When I first moved here 40 years ago I met people that had worked there in prior years before it closed. The stuff imported in the 90's was connected in name and attempted design similarities only. In the two stages of their life before the import (owned by Nat Daniels and then MCA) era they built some weird but innovative stuff. The later stuff is just weird in my book but I have a friend that plays one of the 90's basses and loves it. The musical instruments were an afterthought in the beginning as far as I can tell. Daniel's loved amplifiers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelectro
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

You can save a few bucks and buy this one on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/60064779-90-...iABEgJLxvD_BwE

NFI
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I worked in a guitar shop when these "reissues" came out in the late 90's. They were very affordable and filled a small demand for those wanting a certain sound and look. It is interesting to see the reissues have attained some collector monetary value, IMHO.

I heard Link Wray on the radio and thought he was playing a mandolin…

good memory....the last time Link Wray got airplay was in 1958....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ....the last time Link Wray got airplay was in 1958....
    That'd be about the time my first guitar teacher taught me how to play Rumble.

A little later than that, I had a very short-scale Danelectro bass that I played in a high school band that did rock and surf tunes, plus lots of Freddy King. That bass must have cost me $50. It was lots of fun, but there was no real bass there.

Come to think of it, a bass amp might have helped.
    Last edited by Bruce Clausen; Dec-04-2022 at 7:34pm.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

What feature of this electric guitar makes it a "mandolin"?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

11. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Funny that Nat Daniel did not make a mandolin. I had an original Danelectro six-string bass. And I still have a Silvertone guitar with lipstick pickups. Actually sounds pretty good.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well-l-l-l ... First run, maybe. The beauty of records is they can be played anytime after they've shown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Apparently it's the high number of frets - 31 - and the deep cutaways that permit easy access to them. No, it's not double-stringed, but the ability to play notes that high up, in the mandolin range as well as the guitar range, is the crucial consideration. That would get up to the B above the second octave E on the high E string. My A goes up to C, and F models add a few more frets. So that's up there. Looks like a Strat has 22 frets, up to D. This offers nine more. Maybe not exactly mandolin range, but close enough for rock 'n' roll.

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/v...lin-2651072288
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

A little bit about the lipstick pickups. New Jersey was home to many manufacturers one of them being a little company named Revlon. Actually the company started in New York City but as many manufactures did they moved out into the tri-state area for cheaper land. In turn while they were manufacturing things they sourced components locally. Things like the metal tubes they used for their lipstick. Nat Daniels obviously was trying to source components and bumped into someone already setup to manufacture little round metal tubes and the rest is history.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

15. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Back in the mid-50s, those double neck Mosrite guitars played By Joe Maphis and Larry Collins had one neck tuned as an octave guitar and that gave the electric mandolin sound to a degree.

This is a fabulous clip of Joe Maphis- he's initially playing Johnny Bond's D-28 but swaps over to the Mosrite at about 3:30 and plays it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBKWSzGt_dI

17. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Blog Entries

Also, Tommy Tedesco, the main guitarist in the famed Wrecking Crew, sometimes played one of those half-length electric 12-strings. Since he played on so many recordings backing up so many artists, every now and then that mandolinesque sound would show up on the radio. Funny thing, he did actually play mandolin (along with twenty or more other string instruments), but I don't know if he used it much on recordings. Seems unlikely he wouldn't.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Also, Tommy Tedesco ... he did actually play mandolin (along with twenty or more other string instruments)...
    Well, all in guitar tuning.

Blog Entries

I find that hard to believe, and yet, I'm willing to accept John McGann's assessment. Huh. Surprises the hell out of me.

By the way, if one drops the G string on a uke an octave, it's tuned like a guitar's top four strings, just up a 4th.

Yes it's well known.

See 1:04:40"

He didn't really play flamenco, or mndln or the others - he emulated these - sounds, styles, forms. It served his purpose.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Dec-05-2022 at 1:16pm.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

"Don't tune the mandolin untune it."

Classic.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Yes it's well known.
    No, it's not. Ask 100 people, 99 would say, "Tommy Who?" One might say, "Oh yeah, guitarist." That's not "well-known." Just because you know it ...

But yes to your second statement. He was mainly a guitarist, but he also had to provide other sounds for an immense amount of recording sessions, and this was how he figured out how to do that. If he didn't, someone else might snag the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    "Don't tune the mandolin untune it."

Classic.
    Right? "Now it sounds like four mandolins." Well, it seemed to work for him.

BTW, I had no idea he played that theme from "The Godfather." What a pro.

(*sigh*)

Actually, for those with some familiarity with TT (which appeared to be the case here by your persistant authoritative declarations about him), it is well known.

TT was a prolific and well known educator of musicians for many decades, as well as contributing a monthly column to Guitar Player mag loooong before folks googled for trivia. If you aren't aware of top educators in the field, perhaps you should be - especially when offering yourself as some authority.

90 out of 100 people don't know much about anything - if you wish to align yourself with that group I won't stop you.

Blog Entries

Persistent? Hardly. I made an off-hand remark, hardly an "authoritative declaration," based on having done a bit of online research, and then, when informed of an error in that, I conceded the point. So I thought that tangential discussion was over. But you took it upon yourself to bring it up again, anyway. At which point I objected, not to your point, but your assertion that what you had said was well-known, which seemed a bit snooty - particularly because i'd already conceded the point. I aver it is not, and said why. Again, you persist. I did not "offer myself as some authority," but I have been around a long time and seen and heard and learned a lot during that time. I've never heard this about Tommy Tedesco before, so I believe it is understandable I would think it is not well-known. So if someone wants to say something is well-known when it doesn't seem to be, particularly if he is using this discrepancy in an insulting way, going out of his way to do so, I am bound to get a little defensive. I don't think my having said what I did warrants a personal attack.

However, I have quite lost interest in this sidebar. It's yet another example of each of us rubbing the other the wrong way, and it does no one any good to continue it. I apologize to anyone reading this and wondering what it has ro do with anything. Not much. Sorry.

Well, I was responding to your original post #15, prior to your modifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Highly unlikely ... mandolin, bouzouki, sitar... Naaah
    To which I simply replied, "Yes it's well known" and subsequently went looking for some evidence for you. But by the time I was ready to post, you'd changed your post.

TT was famous among guitarists for his "cheating" (which he called it) multi-instrumental solutions.

Oh ya and, sorry if I was a little harsh there. Must have been grumpy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Well, I was responding to your original post #15, prior to your modifying it.
    Yeah, because I saw I'd gotten it wrong, as John McGann ( who truly was an authority) had made clear about Tedesco's approach, and amended the post. I wish I could have just deleted it - but this ain't facebook, we don't have that option.

Thanks for explaining. I don't want to think ill of anyone, especially around here, a place I love filled with people I enjoy, respect, and admire.

No worries. I know I can be irritating. Consider yourself fortunate - I have no way to avoid myself, no matter how I try.

It's fairly obvious, it's a GUITAR.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

A few independent radio stations where I live,heard Link about 10 years ago….
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Dec-06-2022 at 9:53am. Reason: Fixed quote syntax

32. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post: