Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danelectro Guitarlin

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Danelectro Guitarlin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    It's fairly obvious, it's a GUITAR.
    Well, yes, but it's a specialized guitar, with a long fretboard to accomodate nearly half again as many frets as a regular guitar, plus those crazy deep cutouts to enable reaching them, all of which has been done in order to access higher notes, closer to mandolin range. So I guess you could call it a guitar-with-a-very-long-fretboard-so-it-can-sound-like-a-mandolin ... but it's so much easier to cut out that middle stuff and call it a guitarlin. Which must have helped immensely during the great many times these were discussed in conversations.

Hey - does anyone know how much these used to go for back then? I'd expect thay'd have had to be more expensive, but I wonder how much more. Hopefully not prohibitively so. And did they ever become popular? I'll go look, but maybe someone knows. Thanks.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I posted this one a long time ago - I imagine one could make a bit of racket with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26U-1769_front.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	204675

delete (double helix)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E54A0199-328F-4279-B3B1-2713CA788B39.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	204678

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yep, those are a couple of those half-neck electric 12-strings I mentioned. That first one looks very much like an homage to the guitarlin. Doesn't seem necessary, with that short fretboard, but there it is anyway. The one I've seen/played the most is the one played by Doug Pettibone in Lucinda Williams' band during the late 90s-early 00s, with her best lineup IMO, as the double guitars of him and Kenny Vaughn were phenomenal. My memory is a bit fuzzy on details, but I recall it looking like a scaled-down Les Paul. He played it on just a couple of songs, most importantly on "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road." On the album it's Greg Leisz on mandolin, but Doug got 'er done live this way.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: