Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

  1. #26
    small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Nashua NH
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    Lol. I DID go to The Music Emporium not that long ago. I think that was my first Road Trip report.

    I remember playing an Eastman 515 CC and liking it. Then I took down a $5k Northfield and gave it a few strums. I think my conclusion was ďI donít play a five thousand dollar mandolin any better than I play my $500 mandolin.Ē

    Iíve either gotten better since then, or that Eastman 815/v is just really nice and playable.

  2. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:


  3. #27
    Khaaaan!! Captain Kirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Cave City, Arkansas
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I remember playing an Eastman 515 CC and liking it. Then I took down a $5k Northfield and gave it a few strums. I think my conclusion was “I don’t play a five thousand dollar mandolin any better than I play my $500 mandolin.”
    Yep. That is precisely what happened to me.
    Michael Wilson

  4. #28

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I think my conclusion was ďI donít play a five thousand dollar mandolin any better than I play my $500 mandolin"
    This is how I've felt since I got my Morris. I've played other mandolins that have felt and sounded great, but none have made me think "I will sound significantly better playing this mandolin instead of my Morris."
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB

  5. #29

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    This is how I've felt since I got my Morris. I've played other mandolins that have felt and sounded great, but none have made me think "I will sound significantly better playing this mandolin instead of my Morris."
    Same here! I have Morris #475 and it just begs to be played every day.

  6. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    1,584

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Lol. I DID go to The Music Emporium not that long ago. I think that was my first Road Trip report.

    I remember playing an Eastman 515 CC and liking it. Then I took down a $5k Northfield and gave it a few strums. I think my conclusion was “I don’t play a five thousand dollar mandolin any better than I play my $500 mandolin.”

    I’ve either gotten better since then, or that Eastman 815/v is just really nice and playable.
    I hear ya, and if the 815 is what you like, then that is what you should get!
    "Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

  7. #31
    Registered User Mando Esq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    I stopped over at Strings and Things after work today to play this 815 and compare it against my 515.

    It’s a very nice mandolin and plays very smoothly (good setup).

    A few specific observations:

    1) The neck is larger than my more recent 515. A little deeper and with a little wider shoulder to the v. This 815 is from approx. 2007 or 2008. My 515 was built in 2017. Somewhere in the intervening decade, Eastman must have refined its neck proportions. It wasn’t massive, but the 815 neck was large enough that my medium-sized hands preferred the feel of the 515.

    2) Adirondack is LOUD. My 515 with a Cumberland Acoustic bridge is a loud unit, but this thing was even louder. Each note had a little more character than my 515, with a bell-like chime on the A and E strings. A little more resonance and sparkle. Very nice.

    3) Playing in a public store almost immediately makes you forget nearly every song you know.

    It’s a great mandolin. The neck is just big enough that I will pass on it and keep saving up for that next level, but someone with bigger hands would be right at home.
    Last edited by Mando Esq; Dec-07-2022 at 8:48pm.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo

  8. #32
    small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Nashua NH
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    Iím glad more people are getting a chance to play this mandolin. The more people that play it and post reports, the more likely it is that someone will realize what a bargain it is and take it home.

  9. #33

    Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Esq View Post


    3) Playing in a public store almost immediately makes you forget nearly every song you know.
    Boy, isn't that the truth!

  10. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •