Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: Road Trip III - classic Eastman 815/v

Lol. I DID go to The Music Emporium not that long ago. I think that was my first Road Trip report.

I remember playing an Eastman 515 CC and liking it. Then I took down a $5k Northfield and gave it a few strums. I think my conclusion was “I don’t play a five thousand dollar mandolin any better than I play my $500 mandolin.”

I’ve either gotten better since then, or that Eastman 815/v is just really nice and playable.

2. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I remember playing an Eastman 515 CC and liking it. Then I took down a $5k Northfield and gave it a few strums. I think my conclusion was “I don’t play a five thousand dollar mandolin any better than I play my $500 mandolin.”
    Yep. That is precisely what happened to me.

I think my conclusion was “I don’t play a five thousand dollar mandolin any better than I play my $500 mandolin"
    This is how I've felt since I got my Morris. I've played other mandolins that have felt and sounded great, but none have made me think "I will sound significantly better playing this mandolin instead of my Morris."
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2004 Eastman 805

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    This is how I've felt since I got my Morris. I've played other mandolins that have felt and sounded great, but none have made me think "I will sound significantly better playing this mandolin instead of my Morris."
    Same here! I have Morris #475 and it just begs to be played every day.

Lol. I DID go to The Music Emporium not that long ago. I think that was my first Road Trip report.

I’ve either gotten better since then, or that Eastman 815/v is just really nice and playable.
    I hear ya, and if the 815 is what you like, then that is what you should get!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I stopped over at Strings and Things after work today to play this 815 and compare it against my 515.

It’s a very nice mandolin and plays very smoothly (good setup).

A few specific observations:

1) The neck is larger than my more recent 515. A little deeper and with a little wider shoulder to the v. This 815 is from approx. 2007 or 2008. My 515 was built in 2017. Somewhere in the intervening decade, Eastman must have refined its neck proportions. It wasn’t massive, but the 815 neck was large enough that my medium-sized hands preferred the feel of the 515.

2) Adirondack is LOUD. My 515 with a Cumberland Acoustic bridge is a loud unit, but this thing was even louder. Each note had a little more character than my 515, with a bell-like chime on the A and E strings. A little more resonance and sparkle. Very nice.

3) Playing in a public store almost immediately makes you forget nearly every song you know.

It’s a great mandolin. The neck is just big enough that I will pass on it and keep saving up for that next level, but someone with bigger hands would be right at home.
    Last edited by Mando Esq; Dec-07-2022 at 8:48pm.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

I’m glad more people are getting a chance to play this mandolin. The more people that play it and post reports, the more likely it is that someone will realize what a bargain it is and take it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Esq View Post

3) Playing in a public store almost immediately makes you forget nearly every song you know.
    Boy, isn't that the truth!

10. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I’m glad more people are getting a chance to play this mandolin. The more people that play it and post reports, the more likely it is that someone will realize what a bargain it is and take it home.
    Is this one the same? Considering trades:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/199893#199893
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

No, that one is one of the more modern style, with the oil varnish applied in the Eastman violin shop along with some factory applied "road wear" distressing.

The one I played (and played again just two Saturdays ago) is one of the earlier 815/v with gold hardware and a burst finish. It's hanging on the wall of a shop in Concord, NH.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

The early 815 neck is bigger, the one I play has almost a V style neck, making it great for leads but harder for 4 finger chop chords. The tone compare the 300 series has more definition and more treble presence. I spent 3 hours with someone playing both, switching every song and replaying each, so we got to hear them in front of us and play them. The 815 is certainly nicer but I am not sure if it is double the price nicer or not. They both do certain things better. The 815 is a fiddle tune monster but doesn’t chop as deep as the 300 serie (which might be influenced by the grip from the v neck shape).

The 815/v I played barked like a big dog. No issues chopping on that one.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

...The one I played (and played again just two Saturdays ago) is one of the earlier 815/v with gold hardware and a burst finish. It's hanging on the wall of a shop in Concord, NH.
    How many times have you gone back to look at that mandolin, Dan?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Well, the store is open to the general public, so.., a few.

I don’t see it on their website anymore, so it may have finally found a home.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

Whoever got it, I wish them well.

I too struggled a little with the neck on the upper end Eastmans (600 and 800 series) the Kentuckys I played felt so much better to me. The Eastmans felt huge compared to the soft V I'm used to. I'm currently waiting to see if an MDO-605 actually comes in to my local guy, and if it does I may have the neck reshaped.

About distressing/relicing ... never understood that. I'd much rather my guitars and mandos get 'relic'd naturally.

The 815/v I played barked like a big dog. No issues chopping on that one.
    Sorry I wasn’t clear, the chop was fine, just the other one was great. The overall tone of the 815 would win it for me. My Dad has 82 year arthritic hands, and is having to make the decision which to sell because of neck size versus tone.

Well, the store is open to the general public, so.., a few.
    Dan, I was just pulling your leg, as my Dad used to say. I'm glad you got to check it out a few times and spend some time with it. When the time comes to get yours, it'll be great.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar