Thread: Fitting a Cumberland full contact bridge.

Default Fitting a Cumberland full contact bridge.

My arms are sore. That is all.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Fitting a Cumberland full contact bridge.

Welcome to working with ebony.
    There are a few tricks that can speed up the process, but ebony is tough stuff; and it's slow going even with the tricks.

I use a scraper until get close. Slide it on the sandpaper just to see the marks on the foot, then scrape. Repeat until you get close and then use the sandpaper. Be sure to scrape level or you will take one side faster, it will show up as you sand, scrape, sand, scrape. Take your time and enjoy your new fitting bridge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

That is why they pay these guys the big bucks

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Welcome to working with ebony.
    There are a few tricks that can speed up the process, but ebony is tough stuff; and it's slow going even with the tricks.
    I am tempted to switch to a coarser sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I use a scraper until get close. Slide it on the sandpaper just to see the marks on the foot, then scrape. Repeat until you get close and then use the sandpaper. Be sure to scrape level or you will take one side faster, it will show up as you sand, scrape, sand, scrape. Take your time and enjoy your new fitting bridge.
    I don't have a scraper and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using one if I did. Taking my time is a given, lol!

A sharp flat knife, or a chisel will do nicely.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

What grit are you using. Do not go too coarse or it will not match the top no matter how long you sand.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    What grit are you using. Do not go too coarse or it will not match the top no matter how long you sand.
    You should evaluate arch of your top first. If it ise reasonably smooth circular curve then sliding across arch (f-hole to f-hole direction) will work for initial phases even on rough paper (80-100 grit). Finer grit like 150 will get you almost there but don't move the bridge more than 1/4" in either direction and keep it perfectly square to top. I hold base only holding the posts between thumb and middle finger levering the posts towards each other so the base gets pre tensioned and press down gently with index in the midle as well. I hod the sandpaper with left hand thumb and middle finger just near the ends of bridge feet and push those parts of top slightly down, this creates stops for the movement and also prebends top cross arch so I won't remove too much wood at the ends of the feet.
    Make sure no grit will get on top surface. If the arch is not smooth or it straightens towards ends of bridge feet then chalk fitting is your friend or use jig to sand the bridge across arch.
    If you do chalk fitting make sure you only remove wood where you are 100% certain it needs removed (there will be some chalk traces that are not caused by direct contact of wood).
    Adrian

I let Skip Kelley do mine. A flawless job and as always, a pleasant visit.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

I installed one of these on my old Nugg A and it did seem to improve the sound somewhat (a little more punch and volume). I used the sandpaper that came with it and used a jig, following the instructions provided. By the time I got the base to match the top of the mando it seemed a little thin to me. It’s about 2mm thinner than the original bridge base measured at the mid point. I don’t see how I could have done the job any differently as this particular mandolin has a pretty steep top arch. I’m probably the only one who would notice this, and the Nugg sounds better than ever. The bridge has been on for a couple of years now, no problems at all. I’m wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and if there any concerns. Thanks,
    ‘Grouch