Thread: Eastman nut widths

Question Eastman nut widths

I've been looking at getting a mandolin now after "letting go" my nice Collings, Breedlove, and Weber. Sold them during the pandemic and now I'm sorry.

I thought I'd try an Eastman but seeing these come in 1 3/32" nut widths. Not sure why they are so narrow unless I'm really slow with my math. I'm best with 1 3/16" nut width.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Eastman nut widths

My suggestion is to just try one at a shop and see how it feels. I have two Eastmans and they’re super easy to play but they were among my first mandolins so they feel very natural.

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    My suggestion is to just try one at a shop and see how it feels. I have two Eastmans and they’re super easy to play but they were among my first mandolins so they feel very natural.
    +1

I’d recommend playing one. I started on an Eastman with a narrower nut and prefer the Collings 1-1/8” nut. It seems a bit silly that the tiny difference would matter but for me it certainly seems to. But for many people it makes no difference and for you it might not, either.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandyplayer View Post
    I'm best with 1 3/16" nut width. Any suggestions?
    Buy a mandolin with a 1-3/16” nut width.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I don’t know what your budget is, but this one looks pretty good.
    https://reverb.com/item/63762113-web...-lacquer-brown

When I bought my Eastman, I was worried about how the 1-3/32 nut width would play, given that all my prior experience was with 1-1/8. I was pleasantly surprised. Playability was and still is very good, and it's now easier for me to finger the 2200 a chord with one finger. I concur with the recommendation to give one a try.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I had an Eastman 915 for quite a while. I found it was a combination of nut width, radius fretboard and neck shape that was not agreeing with me but beautiful mandolin. Ended up with a '55 Gibson F12 -:1 3/16" nut, flat fretboard and c shaped neck. More comfortable for me.

Blog Entries

As others have said, try and get your hands on one first. The instruments you had prior have very different necks than the Eastman. Like the Weber and Breedlove I had were substantially clubbier than the narrow V of the Eastman. Some folks aren't that particular, others have a preference. You may also want to try a Kentucky to see how that neck feels on a similarly priced model to the Eastmans.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

11. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I have a Kentucky KM-756 (all 750 series are the same but different finish). They say 1 1/8" nut and I think is is slightly over that and has a fuller U/C shaped neck than Eastman's. It is a terrific mandolin. If you have a chance, you might try one.