Thread: how to remove a floating pickguard/finger rest

Default how to remove a floating pickguard/finger rest

I have an Eastman I will be putting up for sale once my new mandolins arrive. I'd like to keep the finger rest. What is the safest way to remove it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20220922_184627.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	204687

Default Re: how to remove a floating pickguard/finger rest

It’s likely fastened to the edge of the fingerboard with either screws or nails.

I assume it’s a 3rd party addition because I don’t think Eastman puts a pickguard on anything except the electric models, so if you didn’t put it on, you’re going to have to look and see. If you can’t see screwheads when looking underneath then I’d guess nails. Then it should pry off, unless glue was added!

Either way you’ll end up with holes and possibly other evidence of its addition and removal, so I’d consider leaving it on, personally.

Thanks. I was the one who had it installed & it was with nails. I'm not terribly worried about the holes, I know a guy who can make them disappear. If I was going to try it myself would I just wrap a cloth around the finger rest & pull with a pair of pliers or something or is there a better way?

You could also try prying it off, going slowly and doing a little bit at each nail at a time (rather than doing one nail, then the other, which would warp the remaining nail). But, protect your top and FB!!

I took the pick guard off my Rigel CT-110 and just put the screws back in the holes so I wouldn’t lose them, lol. No one but me knows/has noticed they’re there, and they don’t affect playability at all.
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

"Standard" procedure for removing pinned pick guards is to "rock" the guard so that space opens up at one end or the other of the contact area between the guard and the fingerboard. Put a plastic pick in the opening and then rock the guard the other way. Rock the guard back and forth and stack picks in the gaps as they open until the pins pull out.
    Sometimes the pins are unduly tight and that won't work (like old Gibsons with rusted nails) and careful use of putty knives and such is needed, and damage is difficult to avoid.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I'd leave it on -- an additional selling point.

The new owner can keep it or remove it.