Thread: Four string Mando for young children?

Default Four string Mando for young children?

Is a 4-string mando for young children...a thing? Maybe with nylon strings?

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: Four string Mando for young children?

Yes, ukuleles DO exist.

3. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

There's also this:
    http://www.redvalleymandolins.com/mandolin-amw-nylon
    Might be a little pricey to trust to a small child though. You could always get a soprano ukulele and put fifths tuning strings on (GDAE like a mandolin). A ukulele neck is quite different from a mandolin neck though, much wider.

Uke with special strings on it - so you can tune it GDAE - is an option. Elderly Instruments used to carry the strings, probably still do.
    There was a mandolin called a KidMo that I've heard about - made a few years ago. Not sure if you can find one.
    Backpacker or mini mandolin could be an option.
    Or buy an inexpensive mandolin and only put 4 strings on it. Worked for a young Bill Monroe...

Good luck! and good for you for getting a young child into music!

Kirk

I forgot about this one too:
    https://www.magicfluke.com/Mandolin-p/flea-mandolin.htm
    It's got a plastic neck, back and sides so it's super durable and a small ukulele body. Seems great for a kid. Steel strings though.

Quote Originally Posted by tiltman View Post
    Uke with special strings on it - so you can tune it GDAE - is an option. Elderly Instruments used to carry the strings, probably still do.
    There was a mandolin called a KidMo that I've heard about - made a few years ago. Not sure if you can find one.
    Or buy an inexpensive mandolin and only put 4 strings on it. Worked for a young Bill Monroe...

Kirk
    That's what I was thinking...I just can't believe nobody makes one.

My thinking is that not only would the single strings vs courses be easier to learn on...but the neck shape/size is much closer to a fiddle as well. And since they're normally tuned the same...it might be a good primer to beat on for a child that's too young for a fiddle. And since you could then play it both plectrum and fingerstyle...it might be the archetypal "first instrument".

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    There's also this:
    Might be a little pricey to trust to a small child though. You could always get a soprano ukulele and put fifths tuning strings on (GDAE like a mandolin). A ukulele neck is quite different from a mandolin neck though, much wider.
    Thank you for that recommendation! They DO actually make one. The body is a little large...but at least someone makes one. Unfortunately, the price is stout...

You can get a uke for under $30 that would be fine for that purpose. Then get strings to tune to mandolin tuning. There is little need for a separately made instrument. The Fluke costs $515. Much cheaper to get a uke, etc.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by tiltman View Post

Kirk
    For soprano uke, Aquila AQ-30. For Concert/Tenor, Aquila AQ-31.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    There's also this:

Are his mandolins flat top like Big Muddy, or arch top like, well, mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Are his mandolins flat top like Big Muddy, or arch top like, well, mandolins.
    Flat top. I played a couple at Dusty Strings in Seattle and they were lovely.

How young?
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album