Thread: Software to change key of a YouTube song

Question Software to change key of a YouTube song

Does anyone know of software where I can put a YouTube number, and then change the key?

I used to have these two programs, but now I don't for some reason. Maybe they went out of date and I deleted them, but I really don't know what they were or where they went.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

from Stringalong

Default Re: Software to change key of a YouTube song

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    Does anyone know of software where I can put a YouTube number, and then change the key?

I used to have these two programs, but now I don't for some reason. Maybe they went out of date and I deleted them, but I really don't know what they were or where they went.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

from Stringalong
    Not sure if you use Google Chrome or not but this program is clutch: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pjboejda?hl=en
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

Thank you, Jake! There are a zillion and a half musicians who love this program! I put it on my desktop, but can't figure out how to get the YouTube music in there to transpose it. Do you have any way to get the YouTube video music on the Google transpose program?

from Stringalong

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post
    Not sure if you use Google Chrome or not but this program is clutch: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pjboejda?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    Thank you, Jake! There are a zillion and a half musicians who love this program! I put it on my desktop, but can't figure out how to get the YouTube music in there to transpose it. Do you have any way to get the YouTube video music on the Google transpose program?

from Stringalong
    So this one will be in the google Chrome internet browser. When you open up the browser just head over to the YouTube. Once you get to your video, this plugin will be available (I think it can be found to the right of where the URL is). So no need to plug in the link anywhere, you can do it real time on the YouTube video! Let me know if that makes sense.
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

Hi again, Jake. I'll try this in a few days. My time is very full, but I am very anxious to use these two programs! Thank you so much!

Stringalong

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post
    So this one will be in the google Chrome internet browser. When you open up the browser just head over to the YouTube. Once you get to your video, this plugin will be available (I think it can be found to the right of where the URL is). So no need to plug in the link anywhere, you can do it real time on the YouTube video! Let me know if that makes sense.

Hi again, Jake, I tried and tried to make the program work with YouTube, and could never do it. There is nothing that indicates this program to the right of the URL. What is the name of the program you gave me the links for? How do I get the YouTube song into the pitch changing program?

Stringalong

Like Stringalong, I had trouble using the Transpose Chrome Browser Extension. I was able to install the extension easily enough, but it was not appearing to the right of address bar. I showed a couple other extensions there, but not that one. Youtube videos on how to use the extension showed it there, and they just clicked on it.

What I found out, was that Chrome has changed the way they display browser extensions. So, to the right of the address bar there is a puzzle piece, and if you click on it, you can find your active browser extensions. So, the process is 1), open up a youtube video, 2) click on the puzzle piece to the right of the address bar, and it will show the extensions you have, 3) click on the Transpose extension. It will expand and show the pitch and time controls. As you are playing the video, you can adjust these on the fly. Part of my problem was an extension (in my case Darken Text) were pinned to always display right next to the puzzle piece, so I couldn't figure out why I was seeing extensions, but not the Transpose extension that I was looking for, because I didn't know about the puzzle piece.

This thread was the first I head of the Transpose browser extension, which is a great tool. Youtube has long had the ability to slow down videos, but only in large chunks, like 75%, 50% and 25%. Transpose is better, as you can change the speed in 1% increments, the pitch away from A=440, and you can change the key in half step increments. The slowed versions using Transpose sound better to me than using the default youtube speed control, but I have not done a direct comparison.
    Last edited by A 4; Dec-09-2022 at 10:59am.

Wow, A4 and Jake! It really works! I found the little puzzle piece in the upper right of the URL, and was able to change the pitch of the song I am working on!

Thank you both so much!

Stringalong

Quote Originally Posted by A 4 View Post
    Like Stringalong, I had trouble using the Transpose Chrome Browser Extension. I was able to install the extension easily enough, but it was not appearing to the right of address bar. I showed a couple other extensions there, but not that one. Youtube videos on how to use the extension showed it there, and they just clicked on it.

What I found out, was that Chrome has changed the way they display browser extensions. So, to the right of the address bar there is a puzzle piece, and if you click on it, you can find your active browser extensions. So, the process is 1), open up a youtube video, 2) click on the puzzle piece to the right of the address bar, and it will show the extensions you have, 3) click on the Transpose extension. It will expand and show the pitch and time controls. As you are playing the video, you can adjust these on the fly. Part of my problem was an extension (in my case Darken Text) were pinned to always display right next to the puzzle piece, so I couldn't figure out why I was seeing extensions, but not the Transpose extension that I was looking for, because I didn't know about the puzzle piece.

This thread was the first I head of the Transpose browser extension, which is a great tool. Youtube has long had the ability to slow down videos, but only in large chunks, like 75%, 50% and 25%. Transpose is better, as you can change the speed in 1% increments, the pitch away from A=440, and you can change the key in half step increments. The slowed versions using Transpose sound better to me than using the default youtube speed control, but I have not done a direct comparison.